Mike Portnoy going gaga during a recent show in Manila

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks
    View Post

If I may play devils advocate... They had hours to do their jobs before the show. Issue after issue would piss me off too.. Honestly he should have trashed the kit and destroyed the stage like a rock star should.. Whats all this professional talk.. Set the **************** on fire..

That would perhaps be appropriate if Mike Portnoy was a rock star instead of a nerd playing nerd music for nerds.
    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

View Post

If I may play devils advocate... They had hours to do their jobs before the show. Issue after issue would piss me off too.. Honestly he should have trashed the kit and destroyed the stage like a rock star should.. Whats all this professional talk.. Set the **************** on fire..

Apparently, the whole crew was there around 10 hours at least before show start. Apparently MP was late for soundcheck (maybe he needed to sleep) and came in surprised not seeing the kit (fresh from the box from Tama) set up. The crew was waiting for instructions... tech riders nor photos were not supplied and they patiently waited for someone delegated to set up the kit up until the local Tama rep lent a hand to set up the kit a couple of hours before show start.
      Proud to be an ASH Soul... (Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!

(But the Axe-FX makes me think about changing my sig.)

Comment

View Post

BTW, if I may play devils advocate, that wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that Portnoy arrives at a gig to find things nowhere near minimum requirements.

So what made this time any different?
        For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
          View Post

And I really like Portnoy. I just think he needs a vacation if this happens.

He can't. He has bills to pay and he can't live off with the old DT catalog royalties. He must have constant session work and tours to keep the money coming in. And to his demise, he can't get as much goodies compared to when he was still with DT. All the special Tama requests are long gone.
          Proud to be an ASH Soul... (Souls of the Amp Simulator Haters Club)... Spread the HATE!

Comment

His situation now looks to be out of his hands. Can't blame 'em, stardom is a function of they front you as a star. Can't tell if they're testing him or simply killing him. Failing regardless.

As far as the drumming; pattern generator. He could learn how music goes and get real gigs maybe and if he learned enough music, teach.

My opinion: Show biz is phony enough without the heartaches. I'd rather hear about good players and be entertained by their music.
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

would have been fired by me after that gig.
              Originally Posted by Yarbicus

I love you.

I STILL love you!

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

I know that bag. I know it well. Liquor store pron. He ain't dead yet!

Official Traverser Reverbnation
              Youtube
              Soundcloud

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wrongnote85
                View Post

would have been fired by me after that gig.

There is NO ONE TO FIRE because all those 'stupid techs' you all talk about (especially the guy with the long hair) are just HELPING OUT beyond what was expected of them during that night. Although the 'falling snare mic' blew Mike's fuse, it could have been totally avoidable had he been in the venue much earlier. But MP is already used to coming to the venue and just sitting on the throne worrying about nothing.

Comment

There were better times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_SqtFerjg
                  Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by skunky_funk
                    View Post

There is NO ONE TO FIRE because all those 'stupid techs' you all talk about (especially the guy with the long hair) are just HELPING OUT beyond what was expected of them during that night. Although the 'falling snare mic' blew Mike's fuse, it could have been totally avoidable had he been in the venue much earlier. But MP is already used to coming to the venue and just sitting on the throne worrying about nothing.

i'm talking about firing MP, holmes.

I love you.

I STILL love you!

Youtube
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear
                      View Post

see? not one hihat stand thrown. It can happen.

Billy!

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

If it were part of the act..and his own equipment....Id have no problem with it......when its someone elses gear, disrespectful, no matter what the circumstances.
                        Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                          View Post

That would perhaps be appropriate if Mike Portnoy was a rock star instead of a nerd playing nerd music for nerds.

Kinda just seems like a douchebag to me. Not really sure why people think he's so special.

Comment

View Post

i'm talking about firing MP, holmes.

MP is the star of the show here, mate.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by skunky_funk
                              View Post

MP is the star of the show here, mate.

really? cause i saw three other high profile players on that stage.

I love you.

I STILL love you!

Youtube
                              Soundcloud

Comment

View Post

really? cause i saw three other high profile players on that stage.

Well, MP put the project together and organized the tour, so I don't see him getting "fired," per se. `Sides, they've moved on. We're just the internet.

This is one of his supergroup collaborations, of which he has done many, and I love the line-up. Great reviews of their shows, too, and if you can find some clips, check `em out - these are four GREAT players doing some cool stuff.

He may not be the star, per se, but he's the boss.
                                Music, music, I hear music
                                Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

Working...
                                X