High hat question.......

race81

• Members

The extra length of shaft that sticks up from your high hats........is it common to chop them off? I know people do, some dont.......will it hurt resale. I have approx. 10" sticking up, and I have the urge to cut something. May leave a few inches just in case I alter something.....tongue.gif

• Members

You can buy the shorter ones as MC mentioned, but I don't see the need for the expense. Cut it to the length you want. Leave an extra inch or two at the top. I've used both a hacksaw and a dremel for the cut. Put a drop of clear nail polish on the cut to prevent any rust.

I don't think any of mine are standard length -- maybe the DW stand since it came with two sizes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by danrothmusic View Post
I don't really see why you would. Is it in the way?

Also, I don't think resale value of hardware is really an issue, because I can't imagine anyone paying more than 20 bucks for any used piece of hardware.
Tell that to anyplace, anywhere, that sells used hardware. Lucky to find a double braced hat stand for under $75 at most places. Not everyone is as cool as Fingerboard in Corvallis. They usually suck more, like Gracewinds in Corvallis. :p

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell View Post
Tell that to anyplace, anywhere, that sells used hardware. Lucky to find a double braced hat stand for under $75 at most places.
That's interesting, because you can find some decent new hardware for 75 bucks. It's not double-braced, but still sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by melvinspeed View Post
For those of us with toms mounted above the hats, yep, it's in the way.
Let's file this one under "things I never would have thought about" tongue.gif

And looking back at my responses to both these comments, I realize that I seem like the epitome of a user of a small kit! poke.gif

• Members

I wanna say that I think it would depend on whether or not you disassemble your hh stand after the gig. I do, and it would make it difficult to get the rod threaded into the bottom if it was any shorter than it is.

If you leave your hh stand assembled when you pack it away, then you could chop it down to any size you want.

my two cents.

• Members

I've cut it and I've left it - it really depends on what my set up is like.

I did, however, once get a jingle ring and realized that because I had cut my rod, I couldn't mount it. So I didn't cut my next two.

But yeah, for those with toms above the hi hat, I could certainly see that!

• Members

You are making us drummers look bad by your spelling of hi-hat.

If it's in the way, by all means, cut it down. I have used DW stands for years, and they come with two rods, long and short. I always use the short one.

I really don't think the re-sale value would drop necessarily. I mean, do you plan on selling the thing? Do you really plan on "cashing in" on some used hi-hat stand anyways? I don't think you are going to (significantly) profit from some beat up hi-hat stand.

Cut it up.

• Members

Man some people almost make it seem like their cutting their dicks off, and just cant live with it. icon_lol.gif

Cut it, and if you need a longer one in the future, buy a new rod. Or, buy a short rod, and if you need a longer one in the future, you have your old one.

Pretty simple. HiHat rods are about as expendable as felt pads for your cymbals; it shouldnt be such a stressful decision to make. facepalm.gif

• Members

Few are as foo ... uh fearless as yourn self. Being stuck unsatisfied at the limit of adjustment is a major suk. I for one keep dicking with the cymbal spacing so just lopping the rod above the clutch is not an option. So then how much headroom or stickroom ... I just leave it. Matters more to me that hihats still don't collapse for packing. freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vinniewannabe

View Post

You are making us drummers look bad by your spelling of hi-hat.

seriously..............I think most drummers can do that all by themselves without me...rolleyes.gif...............duuuuude!......duuude.....duude..du de.cool.gif

Archived