PLoughman......

race81

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes - we've traded a few emails over the years. I can't get enough of seeing photos of your Rogers collection Jack - absoulutely amazing...Seeing all that in photographs is one thing...quite another thing in real life - I can only inagine. Again...congratulations regarding your collection and thanks for always helping out with the Rogers info....much appreciated.

I don't even have one Rogers drum......I have my hands full with Gretsch haha......but some day I may pick one up. They are such a great part of American drum history.

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Seriously, yeah... Ploughman really knows his Rogers stuff!

• Members

When you blow up that grommet pic to about 400%, you can see only half of the inside portion is present. You also see tool marks on the face of the grommet. And I think, it was removed for some reason, then reset, using an improper tool which caved it in. I think there is a real possibility it isnt original to the drum, and you would find the badge hole significantly oversized. Bidding is now at 725 on this drum. I have paid that much and more for a single snare drum. But, for those, I knew exactly what I was buying. With this one, I think after the postman arrives, the crying will start.

• Members

Yes - I'm on the site right now and man.....you have to know your stuff. I'm not bad when it comes to Gretsch drums but I'm pretty much totally lost when I see something like this. "Crying" probably, but maybe someone just wants this drum for some reason and has the money to pay for it. I've seen some pretty funky bidding in the few years I've been on the Bay and you just never know what's behind it. For example......in my own case:
There was a Cadi Green tom on eBay last year that had very obvious rattle can gold spray on all the hardware. There was a lot of talk on the vintage drum forums about the drum........a lot of it negative. I checked the selller's photos close as much as you can and asked questions. The seller was certain the finish was original....Cadillac Green - clear inside the drum. I asked if it had 24K gold hardware - his answer "I wish haha." I knew Gretsch only offered the hardware in 24K gold on Cadi Green drums from 54-58. There could have been some exceptions = special order in Chrome for instance. I got in the bidding frey and there was at least one person that wanted the drum almost as much as I did. I set my max bid so high (I am far from rich) that if someone else got the drum I felt that I put up a good fight. I was taking a chance..........I got the drum for $535....some thought that was NUTS. The drum arrived - I took it to the j e weller's up the street - he scraped a little spray paint off a lug.....and said...that is Gold under there. I through it up on a Vintage Forum or two for folks to have a look. Chet Falzerano emailed me to say I have one rare drum there.

My point is this.....you take your chances on the Bay - I was lucky.....I hope the person with the Rogers sees something they like and this drum makes them happy.

Archived