I'm going to learn how to sing

danrothmusic

• Members

Sing - more like hum/scat along with stuff you like. If you've never used your voice, do long tones in your comfort zone. You wanna open your throat up and get effortless tone. Try all the vowels they all work and sound differently. Listen to choral music - Christmas stuff is good. Big nerdy tone is square one.

Look into Seth Riggs for a start on actual singing.

• Members

This...except do it all while playing drums.....i will put forth that singing and playing drums is harder than any other instrument. i mean who else has to move all cour limbs and then try an throw vocals on top of that. As someone that sings lead vocals in a group that sings between a 1/4 and a 1/2 of the songs in our 60 song setlist, I say run like hell. Its not as much fun as playing a kit, not in the near 20 years I have combined the two. I do not like the sound of my voice, but people say they love my voice all the time. I prefer to play drums and do it very well......when I am singing, fills and tempo changes are a challenge when trying to sing.........and also...if ya start singing, and you are decent, every group you are ever in will wxpect you to sing, as it takes more off theyre back.

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
Take lessons, from a good teacher who actually knows how to sing.

I think singing, in terms of difficulty, is the most underrated "instrument" in music.

Everyone thinks they can sing...or at least thinks their voice 'isn't that bad'. They're usually wrong.

• Members

I've sung in every band I've been in since roughly '91: after having been in a 6 piece where I was the only one who DIDN'T sing, I joined another 6 piece under the same circumstances, but turnover amongst the rest of the band made it so that only a few months in, most of the backups were neglected as everyone was preoccupied learning the music.
So by default, I started covering what I could to fill in the biggest gaps, found I could sing reasonably well with a bit of effort, and inside another six months even took lead vox on a couple songs.

Indispensable is a word I feel has been applied more than a few times from bandmates towards me as a solid drummer who can provide similarly solid backups.
It has ALWAYS benefitted me when moving into new projects.
Very valuable skill.

Work at it, focus on thinking of the vocal rhythm as just another independent limb as has been said, remember/learn to breathe in support of your vocals, and maybe the biggest tip I can offer is learn to sit as upright as possible; this will help you with breathing.

Archived