Led Zep's "Celebration Day"

FitchFY

• Members

I caught LZ's Celebration Day encore showing in theaters last night - it was a one night, one show kind of thing. Holy awesome.

Jason played an acrylic Ludwig kit with Remo heads and Zildjian cymbals -- I seem to recall that the kit was his dad's. What a great video to see, too -- Jason is a helluva good drummer. I really love the way he plays; it harkens a modern version of his dad. I find his drumming more commanding and hard-hitting, yet he still has the nuances and deep groove.

The band sounded good, too - all the elements of classic Zep clips, with jamming, creativity, big heavy licks, and some spry humor. I think it comes out on DVD in two weeks - definitely pick it up!

"Yes, I saw the Terence and Philip movie. Now who wants to touch me?" - Cartman from South Park: The Movie

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
-1000 merit points to Jason for not playing Paiste
Ya know, that was on my mind SO MUCH while watching this. Part of me wondered "did he not have access to John's cymbals?" or something. Really would love to hear from Jason about his choice of cymbals.

At the end of it, Jason has been a Zildjian endorser for a long time and has his own relationship with them -- though I understand the "minus merit points" perspective, here's a guy who's spent his entire life, and always will, in the shadow of his father, but as a drummer, maybe he said to himself something along the lines of "it's me playing the cymbals, not the cymbals playing me."

I dunno -- I'd love to hear his take on why he used his Zildjians, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Ya know, that was on my mind SO MUCH while watching this. Part of me wondered "did he not have access to John's cymbals?" or something. Really would love to hear from Jason about his choice of cymbals.

At the end of it, Jason has been a Zildjian endorser for a long time and has his own relationship with them -- though I understand the "minus merit points" perspective, here's a guy who's spent his entire life, and always will, in the shadow of his father, but as a drummer, maybe he said to himself something along the lines of "it's me playing the cymbals, not the cymbals playing me."

I dunno -- I'd love to hear his take on why he used his Zildjians, though.
Yeah, I get it...
He chooses what HE wants.

Although...
1 - Why acrylic drums then? his 'Persistence of Time' kit in the shop or something? He doesnt play plastic drums w/ Foreigner from what I've seen.
2 - all well and fine to be who he is and play what he wants. I will continue to be who I am, though, and expect that a Bonham playing Zeppelin means some damn Paiste cymbals, dagnabbit.

• Members

Fitch:

Yeah, I shelled out the $$ to see Celebration Day in the theatre; myself and two others in my band went. I was amazed at how tight they were. No sloppiness on Page's part. JPJ is still the unsung hero of that band, his bass playing filled in a ton of holes. Jason was what he had to be; rock solid, and giving the fill cues like his dad did all those years ago. If anything, I find Jason is even more of a ' Brawler' on kit than his dad was. More to the point, all of them looked engaged, were laughing and joking with each other. Page seems comfortable in his ' Grand Old Man Of Rock' persona he's adopted. Yes, there were tradeoffs. Many of the songs we know dropped sometimes 2 steps to take Plant's vocal limitations into account. But ya know, some of them sounded better that way, heavier ( ' No Quarter' for one) Personal highlights for me were ' Stomp' (funky as all hell) 'Misty Mountain Hop' , and 'Kashmir', which they absolutely killed. If this is the last we see of Zep , then its a good way to be remembered. I think they were right not to tempt fate and tour, despite the mega mega mega millions they could have made. DVD comes out on November 19. It'll be under my Xmas tree this year for sure.

thumb.gifthumb.gifPEACEthumb.gifthumb.gif

Archived