Newbie's learning curve or something else?

okieman

• Members

Can't figure out if this is common for drum students, or something I'm doing wrong. As a drum newbie I'm finding that the sticks don't feel natural in my hands. The playing motion seems awkward. I've tried the different ways of holding the sticks. Have found a few "how to hold the sticks" tutorials online but nothing about getting rid of this clumsy feeling. Maybe just lots more practice?

• Members

Welcome to Drummer Land! Getting comfortable with sticks in your hands is very much so up to the person learning, but the more time you've got them, the better it gets. The nice part is you can sit on the couch with sticks, keep them in your car, drum on your knee while at your desk at work... just spend as much time with them as you can to get that level of comfort.

For me, it's psychosomatic - there are days when I pick up sticks and feel like I have no idea what I'm doing, and I've been playing for 15+ years!

• Members

only thing I can suggest to someone starting out is to get a variety of sticks, and see what feels better in motion in your hand. Some of the uneasy-ness will go with years of practice, but the wrong stick for a particular person will never feel right.

• Members

Thanks for responding so quickly, and for the advice!! I've been rummaging around the Web and also came across the following Joe Morello video that breaks down the details of how to simply allow your arm to relax, hold the stick naturally, and let the stick rebound once you've whacked the top of a drum. It's so simple, but it makes a difference in using the natural motion of your body to play, and as a way of making best use of the energy in your arms, wrists and hands ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do8tYZFhmXs

• Members

Is pretty normal, I too am like Fitch and still get sloppy at times as well and I've been playing for over 25 years. The closest thing that can kinda relate is like when you're learning to ride a bike or drive. You will fall off or slip the clutch so many times over and over until it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about as much.

We ALL went through the same thing but now that we don't have to think about it as much, we tend to forget when we went through when we were learning. Even now, since I just practice at home a few times a week, I drop sticks, mess up beats and some days, I can't hit anything right. I then get frustrated, get on the computer and drink a few beers. The next day, I'm playing the beat just fine and everything is clicking and working.

I would make sure you have the right sticks for you as well or else it will never feel right. It does take some time and is also why that no matter what you learn, there is always someone who knows it better.

• Members

I started with the typical caveman/rock grip and was doing fine until I discovered Buddy Rich. Spent several years learning to diddle my way around the drums and I gotta say, aside from the drilling I got behind me, that traditional grip and approach isn't very well suited to the vast requirements of modern music. It's real good for going yadeh yadeh a lot but anything more refined requires the dedication of a concert artist and results will be proportionate to the likelihood of you becoming a concert artist.

SO after a couple more years of lessons with percussionist/drummers I was back to "rock" (generically referred to as matched grip) and on the path to the finer points of stick control and making music.

• Members

Is pretty normal, I too am like Fitch and still get sloppy at times as well and I've been playing for over 25 years.

I then get frustrated, get on the computer and drink a few beers. The next day, I'm playing the beat just fine and everything is clicking and working.

Good Lord, man, you really ARE just like me! :D

Archived