I am Venturing to the Dark Side

Carminemw

• Members

Well I have finally gone and done it. I still will be playing my Blue Jays in my live performances, but I have gone and purchased a mint condition VDrum module and am building an electronic kit. I was lucky enough to find a TD-12 at an extremely good price point, and am now saving and looking for the other triggering pads and rack. I will never give up my acoustics, but this kit will reside in my training studio and I will use it with my Skype students.

The last time I did something like this, Simmons was the hot ticket. I mean, how freaking long ago was THAT!!!!!facepalm.gif

• Members

Carminemw...you will love it. Especially the flexibility of changing kits, patches, and drums on the fly or practice silently. Also, dont forget to invest a good software sampler (Roland is primarily a Synth company, and it reflects it in the VDrum samples as well). I would definitely recommend Superior Drummer 2.0 with NY - Allaire SDX expansion pack.

Good luck.

• Members

Cool Carm....

Edrums are definitely a great tool and another option to have along with acoustics.

Watch out though...it can become a deep money pit! lol.

As Enigmatic mentioned at some point you might want to venture into triggering software to get the most realistic sounds. Of course I will differ as to which software...I'd go with BFD2.

Regardless though it does require a powerful computer, and there are so many "expansion packs" it makes for very tempting uses of ones money. In terms of home recording..which is what I like to do...I don't think I could ever go back to acoustic drums. It's just not possible to get the variates of sounds all perfectly recorded in pro studios, at the click of a mouse. All played in real time by yourself.

Frankly when I remember back to trying to record my drums onto my friends tascam 4 track, back in the early 90's, I'm just blown away by where the tech has taken us.

I mean...when I can basically play John Bonham's and Ringo Starr's very own personal kits IN AIR Studio's in London...lol...it's crazy....

Enjoy...I'm betting you'll have a lot of fun with the process.

• Members

SC you ain't justa whistlin Dixie about expensive...holy crap stuff is HIGH with a capital HIGH! I don't think I'm gonna be triggering anything just yet. The drums are really for my ears this time...I'm not out to record the next "In the Air Tonight" I just wanna have some fun and get the sounds I'm hearing in my head...like tht elusive ride cymbal I can never seem to find. And the Vexpressions stuff is amazing!

• Members

yeah it really is. It's funny that even used they seem to hold value fairly well...which is a bit counter intuitive as most "tech" stuff is virtually worthless after it goes out of date.

It ain't going to be cheap but I would recommend that you build slowly...get mesh heads and get as big a surface as possible for each drum.

For example I have the TD9 model with mesh all around (except on the bass drum). The snare is 10" and the toms are all 8". I would really rather have 10's all around and maybe even one of the 12" snares, but 12's not totally necessary.

If I were building like you I would for sure start with the necessary.....Bass Drum, HH trigger, and Snare, and then look for larger pads individually for the toms.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation View Post
yeah it really is. It's funny that even used they seem to hold value fairly well...which is a bit counter intuitive as most "tech" stuff is virtually worthless after it goes out of date.

It ain't going to be cheap but I would recommend that you build slowly...get mesh heads and get as big a surface as possible for each drum.

For example I have the TD9 model with mesh all around (except on the bass drum). The snare is 10" and the toms are all 8". I would really rather have 10's all around and maybe even one of the 12" snares, but 12's not totally necessary.

If I were building like you I would for sure start with the necessary.....Bass Drum, HH trigger, and Snare, and then look for larger pads individually for the toms.
I am starting to build slowly. But I'm gonna get tom sizes I think that will be similar to what I use...(my aim is bad) An 8, 10, and 12 on the rack and a 12 on the floor. I got a line on a whole group of Hart Dynamics pads that should work. I like a KD9 on the kick. I don't like much bounce and I play on one of those at my store that seems pretty comfortable. The Hart Snare is also pretty big...my only downfall will be the cymbals and hats. I really don't care if they are small...as long as I can get to the bell and bow, I'll be fine... BUT IT DO TAKE CAPITAL FOR SURE! OY!eek.gif

• Members

I am interested in this as well!! With me is much more about having a "decent" quiet practice kit at home that I can use for a LONG time that sounds real enough and is not a toy but yet something that I can pitch to my wife as a great "one time" expense for Christmas or b-day present. So far Roland seems to be the best with Yamaha not being far behind. Mostly just something where I can practice my heart out and play along with my CDs in my headphones at night. I play with Blaststicks brushes right now on a heavily muffled acoustic set now and still get "You need to turn it down" at times.

Local shop has $850 and $1000 Roland kits and the $1000 kit is looking really good!

• Members

Stix, I picked up a TD-12 Module for under 500.00 in near new condition from GC used. Even the guys at the store said this module going for that low was quite unusual. Now it's starting to be the adventure of finding just the right pieces at the right cost. If I can get everything I need for around 1000 or 1100, I'll have a bangin kit that I'vw I've always wanted. I've heard the sounds on a 12 and I think I'm gonna be very happy. Now the adventure starts. I will tell you this...doing it this way takes a lot of trust and leg work, but hopefully it will be worth it.

OK who lives near Tampa...I possibly need some eyes to check on a KD9!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fusionfunk View Post
I still have a single Simmons pad, the one where you could burn chips to whatever sound you wanted, and change them out, [forget the model #], but I haven't used it in more years than I care to remember.
Yeah and you locked the eprom in with a lever...and had an eprom burner to record the sounds...omg an SDS1...I had 3 at one time and then bought a kit...
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/04/sim...sds-eprom.html

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Carminemw View Post
Yeah and you locked the eprom in with a lever...and had an eprom burner to record the sounds...omg an SDS1...I had 3 at one time and then bought a kit...
http://m.matrixsynth.com/2011/04/sim...sds-eprom.html
That sounds right Carm.
I'll tell you what. I have no need for it. After I move and unpack and find it, if you could use it for your project, I'd be happy to give it to you, free of charge. What are friends for, after all? Just let me know if you want it, and PM me an address to ship it to, and it's yours.

• Members

FYI...E-Drums does not have to be expensive. I am finding it hard to back off from this this deal: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...tudio-drum-kit

That's a hell of a deal for $800 for anyone who is either looking for a decent module or a starter kit. If only i had the space, I would have pulled the trigger on this kit. The deal is only for Today and Tomorrow.

You know you want a Dark kit to venture in to the Dark gateway.... evil.gif

DV016_Jpg_Large_712761.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_712761_DM10_module_top.j

Archived