Anybody Ever Live or Work in Rio de Janeiro?

Chunkaway

• Members

So, my wife and I just received job offers to teach at an international school in Rio de Janeiro. We don't know a ton about the city, the music scene, etc... so we were wondering if there was anyone on here who has lived or worked or even traveled to the area.

Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkaway

View Post

I'm specifically wondering if it is safe for a family. I know there are parts that are overrun with gangs, but that could be said for many cities in the U.S. as well.

I imagine it's just like any big city in that regard; there are "good" areas and "bad." Moving there as Americans, you'll probably be able to afford living in a safer area.

• Members

The areas you want to avoid, if you can, are called favelas.
Considering a large portion of the city is comprised of them...good luck.

I know little about living in the city, but they are taking great pains to enact numerous changes there ahead of the Olympics in 2016...and the question is...will they help/last?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by danrothmusic

View Post

I imagine it's just like any big city in that regard; there are "good" areas and "bad." Moving there as Americans, you'll probably be able to afford living in a safer area.

Unfortunately, at least according to what I've read, it's not quite that cut and dried.

• Members

Pros and cons...

I live in a town 300km away from Rio, I've been there few times. Big ciy, lots of clubs, and lots of bands playing for less, but it looks like it's a problem everywhere.
Regarding living, I think it's like every big city, you have to be always alert. There have been an effort from the police to 'pacify' the favelas.
Properties are becoming really expensive, with the World Cup and Olympics coming.

Be prepared for traffic jams and high temperatures. And enjoy the landscape. smile.gif

Ps: Do you speak portuguese?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ATF_Drummer View Post
Pros and cons...

I live in a town 300km away from Rio, I've been there few times. Big ciy, lots of clubs, and lots of bands playing for less, but it looks like it's a problem everywhere.
Regarding living, I think it's like every big city, you have to be always alert. There have been an effort from the police to 'pacify' the favelas.
Properties are becoming really expensive, with the World Cup and Olympics coming.

Be prepared for traffic jams and high temperatures. And enjoy the landscape. smile.gif

Ps: Do you speak portuguese?
Thank you for all of the info. The school housing is in Barra (a little north of Rio) and from what we have been told, it is very safe there. The issue is, I'm sure we will want to do things in Rio, and I want to make sure my wife and five year old daughter are safe.

We don't speak Portuguese, although if we take this job we would take Portuguese classes immediately. We would definitely try to learn the language. Do you see that as a huge problem?

Archived