Female drummers. (Not read: females on drums)

Merlin Coryell

• Members

Saw an article on Cindy Blackman, then my girlfriend noted an old MD article on Janet Weiss (she likey the Sleater-Kinney for whatever reason). And now today Zildjian brought up Viola Smith.

Got me wondering how many accomplished or unheard of-but skilled female drummers you know about.

Mr. Troll Says: Meg White should not be on this list, so dont even try.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell

View Post

Meg White should not be on this list, so dont even try.

I honestly don't get why people hate Meg White so much. Yes, she plays simple parts and yes she is self-taught, and yes she is successful. Yes, you can also say her success is only due to her collaboration with Jack White, but you could say similar things about Ringo Starr as well (though I suppose he does get a lot of flack as well). That doesn't change the fact that she was a successful musician.

• Members

Shiela E. is my favorite. Saw her in concert a couple of years ago. Kicks ass in 6 inch heels! WOW! At the end of her last tune, she knocked over one of her boom cymbals, then proceeded to beat the {censored} out of it WHILE IT WAS ON THE GROUND! Yeah, baby!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

Shiela E. is my favorite. Saw her in concert a couple of years ago. Kicks ass in 6 inch heels! WOW! At the end of her last tune, she knocked over one of her boom cymbals, then proceeded to beat the shit out of it WHILE IT WAS ON THE GROUND! Yeah, baby!

I saw her with the Ringo Starr All-Stars show. Great drummer. Frankenstein, with her on drums and Edgar Winter on timbales and sax was memorable.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell View Post
I can beat any and all of them.
I can also beat Buddy Rich and Derek Roddy, as well as Steve Gadd. But I just choose not to back up my bullshit with anything whatsoever, a lesson I learned from a friend here! thumb.gif
lulz

I'm doin ok - extraneous feedback not necessary.

• Members

Meg is as good a drummer as anyone else on this list. Simple and plays for the song. Not everything needs to be technique based. Ive seen plenty of the White Stripes, and never once thought that they suffered for her playing. Whether you like that music or not is irrelevant.
Shes not Rich, Peart, Portnoy or any of those other monsters. But, her songs wouldnt be improved one iota if those guys were playing on them. Thats my opinion anyway...Besides, Peart has simply bored me to tears for about 20 years now. I'll take Megs rawness over his technique on any given day. And thats coming from a Peart Disciple!

• Members

Meg is as good a drummer as anyone else on this list. Simple and plays for the song. Not everything needs to be technique based. Ive seen plenty of the White Stripes, and never once thought that they suffered for her playing. Whether you like that music or not is irrelevant.
Shes not Rich, Peart, Portnoy or any of those other monsters. But, her songs wouldnt be improved one iota if those guys were playing on them. Thats my opinion anyway...Besides, Peart has simply bored me to tears for about 20 years now. I'll take Megs rawness over his technique on any given day. And thats coming from a Peart Disciple!

Archived