I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Cratz

• Members

Stupid? I've been playing the same poplar kit since I hopped on a drum set 4 years ago. My time in a drum line gave me a good ear for tuning, I guess, so they always worked well enough for shows and decent recordings, but the whole kit is falling apart and my dad offered to buy me a new set for christmas. I wanted to get something used, but he got impatient with the search and decided that he'd just get me something at the store. I saw a set of Starclassics I really liked, but they were $1,500. My dad certainly makes enough money for that, and he repeatedly stressed that the cost was no issue, but I ordered a 5 piece set of Stage Customs (fusion sizes) for $700 instead. Figured I can live with that price.

Was this silly of me? The Stage Customs have been one of my favorite middle of the road kits for a long time, but Starclassics are up there with Oak Customs and DW Collectors as a kit I could see myself settling down with.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz

View Post

Was this silly of me? The Stage Customs have been one of my favorite middle of the road kits for a long time, but Starclassics are up there with Oak Customs and DW Collectors as a kit I could see myself settling down with.

Well, if Dad said pick a kit and price wasn't an issue, not sure why you didn't go with the Starclassics, though I love my Yamaha Stage Customs and always get huge accolades on them live and in the studio. But yes, based on what you've told us, it does seem a bit silly. wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz

View Post

Well, if Dad said pick a kit and price wasn't an issue, not sure why you didn't go with the Starclassics, though I love my Yamaha Stage Customs and always get huge accolades on them live and in the studio. But yes, based on what you've told us, it does seem a bit silly. wave.gif

• Members

Were you trying to save your dad a bit of dough? If thats the case, your my kinda kid. If you just liked the Stages, your still my kinda kid.
I think it comes down to what do you like, and what did you want. My own personal dream kit is a Yamaha...Im not too interested in Tama (though not for any reason, really. GREAT DRUMS!).
Stop beating yourself up over this. You have some really really great drums, your dad bought them for you, and you tried hard not to banckrupt him. Win win.

• Members

Were you trying to save your dad a bit of dough? If thats the case, your my kinda kid. If you just liked the Stages, your still my kinda kid.
I think it comes down to what do you like, and what did you want. My own personal dream kit is a Yamaha...Im not too interested in Tama (though not for any reason, really. GREAT DRUMS!).
Stop beating yourself up over this. You have some really really great drums, your dad bought them for you, and you tried hard not to banckrupt him. Win win.

• Members

The Stage Customs are great drums. I've had mine (in the regular sizes) for 14 months. No buyer's remorse. New heads would probably be a good investment. I replaced the stock heads on the toms with clear Evans EC2's on the batter side and clear G1's on the resonant side. It's a great combination in my opinion. I used the stock heads for a few months before I changed them and they sounded "ok" but with the Evans heads they really sing.

• Members

The Stage Customs are great drums. I've had mine (in the regular sizes) for 14 months. No buyer's remorse. New heads would probably be a good investment. I replaced the stock heads on the toms with clear Evans EC2's on the batter side and clear G1's on the resonant side. It's a great combination in my opinion. I used the stock heads for a few months before I changed them and they sounded "ok" but with the Evans heads they really sing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Eh, my reasons go a little deeper than I'm willing to say. Probably still silly, though. smile.gif

Great news that the customs sound good in the studio. I haven't heard too many recordings of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mraia3 View Post
lol, pretty much both.

Quote Originally Posted by lsits View Post
Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Eh, my reasons go a little deeper than I'm willing to say. Probably still silly, though. smile.gif

Great news that the customs sound good in the studio. I haven't heard too many recordings of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mraia3 View Post
lol, pretty much both.

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cratz View Post
Exactly what I'm planning on doing, down to the types of heads. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.
If they're shipping with Ambassadors you might try them out before you jump into buying new heads. You might like the sound. If not you can keep them for Resonant heads.

Can't help you out too much on the mics. I have a SM-57 for my snare and a Carvin bass drum mic. Not the best but it works for me when I play out live.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cratz View Post
Exactly what I'm planning on doing, down to the types of heads. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.
If they're shipping with Ambassadors you might try them out before you jump into buying new heads. You might like the sound. If not you can keep them for Resonant heads.

Can't help you out too much on the mics. I have a SM-57 for my snare and a Carvin bass drum mic. Not the best but it works for me when I play out live.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post
Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion. thumb.gif
Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Yeah, I think I'll try them out for a bit, at least. I got a 50% off deal at the place I bought the kit from for a set of heads, so I'll always have the G2s/EMAD 2 waiting for me.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post
Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion. thumb.gif
Also along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't have a huge amount of experience with high end drums, but from what I've played, heard live, and listened to in pro and amateur recordings, those kind of kits seem to make the biggest difference in a professional studio setting. It's almost like the upgrades are only really noticeable on $10,000 worth of mics.

Yeah, I think I'll try them out for a bit, at least. I got a 50% off deal at the place I bought the kit from for a set of heads, so I'll always have the G2s/EMAD 2 waiting for me.

• Members

NO, is not silly. You said you ordered them?? First off, the new Stage Customs are 100% Birch, like the higher end Recording Custom, which was one of the most recorded kits for a long time. (I guess the Stage Custom birch is a little lower grade then the Recording Customs?) They stay in tune, the hardware is great, although I would at least change the batter heads to really make them sing unless the ambo's you're getting are true REMO heads, mine came with Yamaha heads made by Remo. Are you getting the matching wood snare or a Yamaha Metal "Steel" snare?? either way the snares are great as well.

I don't have anything against Tama, I would gladly own a set, but at least around here, Yamaha has more dealers, customer service is better and more friendly and some parts are easier to find.

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Plus the birch should have a great attack sound without being overbearing or as overloud like the Oak Customs. The Stage Custom has many of the Recording Custom features without the cost! Please post pictures when you get it set up!! What color did you order?? I think that you'll be more than happy with the Stage Customs! Especially with some good heads and tuned up! Congrates dude! Nice pick! thumb.gif

• Members

NO, is not silly. You said you ordered them?? First off, the new Stage Customs are 100% Birch, like the higher end Recording Custom, which was one of the most recorded kits for a long time. (I guess the Stage Custom birch is a little lower grade then the Recording Customs?) They stay in tune, the hardware is great, although I would at least change the batter heads to really make them sing unless the ambo's you're getting are true REMO heads, mine came with Yamaha heads made by Remo. Are you getting the matching wood snare or a Yamaha Metal "Steel" snare?? either way the snares are great as well.

I don't have anything against Tama, I would gladly own a set, but at least around here, Yamaha has more dealers, customer service is better and more friendly and some parts are easier to find.

The only thing I can add is do NOT overtighten the ball clamp tom mounts too tight. Over the time of about five years, I kept tightening and tightening my tom mounts down and it stripped them out after awhile. Just make them snug and maybe loosen them, adjust, and then retighten.

Plus the birch should have a great attack sound without being overbearing or as overloud like the Oak Customs. The Stage Custom has many of the Recording Custom features without the cost! Please post pictures when you get it set up!! What color did you order?? I think that you'll be more than happy with the Stage Customs! Especially with some good heads and tuned up! Congrates dude! Nice pick! thumb.gif

• Members

Are Stage Customs supposed to be "lower" than Starclassics? I hadn't thought so, and I do love the drums Yamaha makes, and I've never been super impressed with Tama (in my experience, they just come across as pretty generic rock drums. Yes, I know that has to do more with tuning, but I stand by my impression of them).

So a better (imo) kit for roughly half the price? No, not silly at all.

• Members

Are Stage Customs supposed to be "lower" than Starclassics? I hadn't thought so, and I do love the drums Yamaha makes, and I've never been super impressed with Tama (in my experience, they just come across as pretty generic rock drums. Yes, I know that has to do more with tuning, but I stand by my impression of them).

So a better (imo) kit for roughly half the price? No, not silly at all.

Archived