Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by the DW
    View Post

Thing is, even though they cost twice as much, the Starclassics won't sound twice as good... just a bit better, if at all. You made a good decision, in my opinion.

Hmmm...

Sounding twice as good or not would be an entirely subjective thing. Certainly depends on personal preference, as well as all the usual suspect variables ( head choice, tuning, style being played, room, etc.).

The quality of materials used in the shells notwithstanding...

The non-subjective angle, IMO, is thenbig difference, and usually manifested in non-sound related aspects:

Quality of finishes

Options available for finishes

Hardware (hoops, lugs, etc.)

What comes 'standard'...memory locks, die cast hoops, other fittings, etc.

All those little extras add up.
    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
      View Post

Hmmm...

Sounding twice as good or not would be an entirely subjective thing. Certainly depends on personal preference, as well as all the usual suspect variables ( head choice, tuning, style being played, room, etc.).

The non-subjective angle, IMO, is thenbig difference, and usually manifested in non-sound related aspects:

Quality of finishes

I guess what I was trying to say is that as with most things, once you reach a certain level of performance, the price starts to go up exponentially for smaller and smaller improvements... in this case, (subjective) sound quality. But I agree about the other stuff like quality of materials, etc..

It's like when I had my Rydeen kit. My dw's cost eight times as much, but they don't sound eight times as good, know what I mean? But I see your point.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

I guess what I was trying to say is that as with most things, once you reach a certain level of performance, the price starts to go up exponentially for smaller and smaller improvements... in this case, (subjective) sound quality. But I agree about the other stuff like quality of materials, etc..

It's like when I had my Rydeen kit. My dw's cost eight times as much, but they don't sound eight times as good, know what I mean? But I see your point.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

Comment

View Post

Hmmm...

Quality of finishes

Comment

Like several others have said I think it's nice that you didn't just get the more expensive drums because your Dad said it was OK. Evidently he has taught you about the value of money!

I bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom in 1997 and I really like them. I too got the fusion sizes. They are really good sounding drums. The quality of the hardware and stands are superb. I presently have clear ambassadors on mine. I have had coateds in the past too. The heads that come on it are really clear remo heads with yamaha stamped on them. I used them for a while and they sounded great. That's what sold me on them in the store was how good they sounded. I wouldn't automatically think you need new heads. Tune 'em up when you get them and see first.

And as far as the higher cost etc, I've had a theory for a long time with most stuff you can get about 80% there with a modest investment. Any improvement from there comes exponentially in cost until you get to the best there is.

Have fun with your new Stage Customs.
              P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
              Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
              1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
              KORG TR keyboard
              Cubase LE
              Tascam US-122 USB Interface
              George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

Like several others have said I think it's nice that you didn't just get the more expensive drums because your Dad said it was OK. Evidently he has taught you about the value of money!

I bought a new Yamaha Stage Custom in 1997 and I really like them. I too got the fusion sizes. They are really good sounding drums. The quality of the hardware and stands are superb. I presently have clear ambassadors on mine. I have had coateds in the past too. The heads that come on it are really clear remo heads with yamaha stamped on them. I used them for a while and they sounded great. That's what sold me on them in the store was how good they sounded. I wouldn't automatically think you need new heads. Tune 'em up when you get them and see first.

And as far as the higher cost etc, I've had a theory for a long time with most stuff you can get about 80% there with a modest investment. Any improvement from there comes exponentially in cost until you get to the best there is.

Have fun with your new Stage Customs.
                P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
                Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
                1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
                KORG TR keyboard
                Cubase LE
                Tascam US-122 USB Interface
                George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

some one really smart said to me once that he was willing to spend X amount of money to 85% of what he wanted, but not 2X to get 100% of what he wanted. I guess that applies, kinda.
                  Wha?
                  PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

some one really smart said to me once that he was willing to spend X amount of money to 85% of what he wanted, but not 2X to get 100% of what he wanted. I guess that applies, kinda.
                    Wha?
                    PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

I played the Yamaha Stage 2 series for years. (The # S474 in the same red color with an additional 8" drum)

So it was 8",10",12",13",14" standard sized rack toms 16" & 18" floors, 2 16" x 24" kicks, and a Pearl 8"x14" FFS Brass Snare. One of the worst mistakes I made was selling that kit.

I put Ambassadors on the resonant side and Pinstripes on the batter sides and those drums killed. I had a recording custom kit in the same set up, but because I didn't want to leave it at clubs overnight, I picked up the Stage 2 Kit in the same configuration for playing out. I bought it used for $1,200. with 6 Zildjian A cymbals and all the hardware then added the Pearl Snare from my main kit.

I played the hell out of those drums, and to be honest in a live Hard Rock/Metal setting, I actually preferred their sound to the Recording Customs... they had a bit more "thump" and cut to them. I always tuned the kit with the resonant heads tuned up about a fourth higher than the batters, so it cut off the sustain so the drums would "bark"... it had a Tympani kind of sound, but that cut through a live metal band extremely well.
                      Support your fellow HC members!
                      PTD-1
                      For Cables & Racks, Roadcases and Case Hardware : Audiopile.net
                      For Vocal help: Vocal Forum Moderator Al Koehn's The Secrets of Successful Singing,

Originally Posted by agedhorse

You can't bridge these amps (yay).

Comment

I played the Yamaha Stage 2 series for years. (The # S474 in the same red color with an additional 8" drum)

So it was 8",10",12",13",14" standard sized rack toms 16" & 18" floors, 2 16" x 24" kicks, and a Pearl 8"x14" FFS Brass Snare. One of the worst mistakes I made was selling that kit.

I put Ambassadors on the resonant side and Pinstripes on the batter sides and those drums killed. I had a recording custom kit in the same set up, but because I didn't want to leave it at clubs overnight, I picked up the Stage 2 Kit in the same configuration for playing out. I bought it used for $1,200. with 6 Zildjian A cymbals and all the hardware then added the Pearl Snare from my main kit.

I played the hell out of those drums, and to be honest in a live Hard Rock/Metal setting, I actually preferred their sound to the Recording Customs... they had a bit more "thump" and cut to them. I always tuned the kit with the resonant heads tuned up about a fourth higher than the batters, so it cut off the sustain so the drums would "bark"... it had a Tympani kind of sound, but that cut through a live metal band extremely well.
                        Support your fellow HC members!
                        PTD-1
                        For Cables & Racks, Roadcases and Case Hardware : Audiopile.net
                        For Vocal help: Vocal Forum Moderator Al Koehn's The Secrets of Successful Singing,

Originally Posted by agedhorse

You can't bridge these amps (yay).

Comment

I've had my Stage Customs for about 1.5 years and I don't regret buying them at all. As soon as I sat down with at the display kit,with stock heads even.I was sold. I have expanded my kit nearly to the max. I had a Tama Superstar kit that was ok,but I like the Yamaha kit much more.

Who needs to spend $1500 on a kit when you can get just as good for half. Good heads and tuning can go a very long way.

I'll admit the 5.5x14 Birch snare was more then a joke.Never could get it to sound good with multiple heads and different tuning.Just never sounded right but I do like deeper snares more.
                          9 pc Birch Yamaha Stage Customs Raven Black
                          6.5x14 Pearl Masters Snare
                          7x14 20 ply Ludwig Epic Birch Snare
                          (8" 10" 12" 13" mounted 14" 16" 18" FT 22" BD 14" Snare)
                          Evans Clear Hydraulic Heads on all Toms
                          21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
                          20" HHX Chinese
                          18" AAXplosion Fast Crash X2
                          18" HHX Chinese
                          18" HH Chinese
                          15" AAXplosion Crash
                          16" AAXplosion Fast Crash
                          10" AAX Splash
                          Zildjian 18" A Custom China

Comment

I've had my Stage Customs for about 1.5 years and I don't regret buying them at all. As soon as I sat down with at the display kit,with stock heads even.I was sold. I have expanded my kit nearly to the max. I had a Tama Superstar kit that was ok,but I like the Yamaha kit much more.

Who needs to spend $1500 on a kit when you can get just as good for half. Good heads and tuning can go a very long way.

I'll admit the 5.5x14 Birch snare was more then a joke.Never could get it to sound good with multiple heads and different tuning.Just never sounded right but I do like deeper snares more.
                            9 pc Birch Yamaha Stage Customs Raven Black
                            6.5x14 Pearl Masters Snare
                            7x14 20 ply Ludwig Epic Birch Snare
                            (8" 10" 12" 13" mounted 14" 16" 18" FT 22" BD 14" Snare)
                            Evans Clear Hydraulic Heads on all Toms
                            21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
                            20" HHX Chinese
                            18" AAXplosion Fast Crash X2
                            18" HHX Chinese
                            18" HH Chinese
                            15" AAXplosion Crash
                            16" AAXplosion Fast Crash
                            10" AAX Splash
                            Zildjian 18" A Custom China

Comment

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. Great stuff.

I'm definitely going to be pleased with the Stage Customs. I'm thinking of replacing the snare (looking at the black panther sledgehammer, brass 7x14), but I'd probably do that with most kits. The store ended up not being able to get it in before Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait until Monday. If I don't get it before christmas, I'll be pissed. Completely missing the "latest possible date" they told me they'd have it in by would be the final nail in the coffin of their ****************ty service. 5 star drum shop, my ass.

Argh, waiting for a new kit is the worst.

EDIT: I'm aware that they probably don't have much control over the shipping speed, but I know most of these guys have been in the business for a while, and I prefer honesty to disappointment.. I nearly bought a Mapex kit that they told me was "100% birch" before examining the catalogue and noticing that the kit was a birch and basswood blend. When I pointed it out, the guy doing the order just gave me a blank stare and acted like that was what he said. Glad I ended up going with the Yamahas.

Will post pics soon.

Comment

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. Great stuff.

I'm definitely going to be pleased with the Stage Customs. I'm thinking of replacing the snare (looking at the black panther sledgehammer, brass 7x14), but I'd probably do that with most kits. The store ended up not being able to get it in before Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait until Monday. If I don't get it before christmas, I'll be pissed. Completely missing the "latest possible date" they told me they'd have it in by would be the final nail in the coffin of their ****************ty service. 5 star drum shop, my ass.

Argh, waiting for a new kit is the worst.

EDIT: I'm aware that they probably don't have much control over the shipping speed, but I know most of these guys have been in the business for a while, and I prefer honesty to disappointment.. I nearly bought a Mapex kit that they told me was "100% birch" before examining the catalogue and noticing that the kit was a birch and basswood blend. When I pointed it out, the guy doing the order just gave me a blank stare and acted like that was what he said. Glad I ended up going with the Yamahas.

Will post pics soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X