Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I passed up Starclassics for Stage Customs.

Stupid? I've been playing the same poplar kit since I hopped on a drum set 4 years ago. My time in a drum line gave me a good ear for tuning, I guess, so they always worked well enough for shows and decent recordings, but the whole kit is falling apart and my dad offered to buy me a new set for christmas. I wanted to get something used, but he got impatient with the search and decided that he'd just get me something at the store. I saw a set of Starclassics I really liked, but they were $1,500. My dad certainly makes enough money for that, and he repeatedly stressed that the cost was no issue, but I ordered a 5 piece set of Stage Customs (fusion sizes) for $700 instead. Figured I can live with that price.

Was this silly of me? The Stage Customs have been one of my favorite middle of the road kits for a long time, but Starclassics are up there with Oak Customs and DW Collectors as a kit I could see myself settling down with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz
    View Post

Was this silly of me? The Stage Customs have been one of my favorite middle of the road kits for a long time, but Starclassics are up there with Oak Customs and DW Collectors as a kit I could see myself settling down with.

Well, if Dad said pick a kit and price wasn't an issue, not sure why you didn't go with the Starclassics, though I love my Yamaha Stage Customs and always get huge accolades on them live and in the studio. But yes, based on what you've told us, it does seem a bit silly.
    Music, music, I hear music
    Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz
      View Post

Well, if Dad said pick a kit and price wasn't an issue, not sure why you didn't go with the Starclassics, though I love my Yamaha Stage Customs and always get huge accolades on them live and in the studio. But yes, based on what you've told us, it does seem a bit silly.
      Music, music, I hear music
      Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

Were you trying to save your dad a bit of dough? If thats the case, your my kinda kid. If you just liked the Stages, your still my kinda kid.

I think it comes down to what do you like, and what did you want. My own personal dream kit is a Yamaha...Im not too interested in Tama (though not for any reason, really. GREAT DRUMS!).

Stop beating yourself up over this. You have some really really great drums, your dad bought them for you, and you tried hard not to banckrupt him. Win win.
        Wha?
        PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

Were you trying to save your dad a bit of dough? If thats the case, your my kinda kid. If you just liked the Stages, your still my kinda kid.

I think it comes down to what do you like, and what did you want. My own personal dream kit is a Yamaha...Im not too interested in Tama (though not for any reason, really. GREAT DRUMS!).

Stop beating yourself up over this. You have some really really great drums, your dad bought them for you, and you tried hard not to banckrupt him. Win win.
          Wha?
          PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

The Stage Customs are great drums. I've had mine (in the regular sizes) for 14 months. No buyer's remorse. New heads would probably be a good investment. I replaced the stock heads on the toms with clear Evans EC2's on the batter side and clear G1's on the resonant side. It's a great combination in my opinion. I used the stock heads for a few months before I changed them and they sounded "ok" but with the Evans heads they really sing.
            Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

The Stage Customs are great drums. I've had mine (in the regular sizes) for 14 months. No buyer's remorse. New heads would probably be a good investment. I replaced the stock heads on the toms with clear Evans EC2's on the batter side and clear G1's on the resonant side. It's a great combination in my opinion. I used the stock heads for a few months before I changed them and they sounded "ok" but with the Evans heads they really sing.
              Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by mraia3
                View Post

This

Comment

View Post

This

Comment

View Post

This

Comment

View Post

This

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
                        View Post

Eh, my reasons go a little deeper than I'm willing to say. Probably still silly, though.

Great news that the customs sound good in the studio. I haven't heard too many recordings of them.

View Post

lol, pretty much both.

Quote Originally Posted by lsits
                        View Post

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY
                          View Post

Eh, my reasons go a little deeper than I'm willing to say. Probably still silly, though.

Great news that the customs sound good in the studio. I haven't heard too many recordings of them.

View Post

lol, pretty much both.

Quote Originally Posted by lsits
                          View Post

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Mine are shipping with Ambassadors, though. Never played much on those.

Comment

Stage Customs are awesome drums. I own/play 'em, and they sound great. Resonant but not ringy, and the bass drums sound like cannons.

You did just fine.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Stage Customs are awesome drums. I own/play 'em, and they sound great. Resonant but not ringy, and the bass drums sound like cannons.

You did just fine.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Working...
                              X