Help out a NON-Drummer by identifying these latin beats

fingerpicker

• Members

I don't mean to knock the guitar playing (which is very nice, btw) ... you asked about the rhythms. They are pretty bland/generic compared to the styles you were guessing. If you were to listen to actual bossanova or Afro-Cuban (which is a generalization of many styles of Cuban music), you would hear the difference. As I said, the rhythms have no clave feel, which is essential to the styles you were asking about.

Obviously a non-guitarist here (but I'll take Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza any day).

biggrin.gif

• Members

my guess:

First one sounds to me like Merengue. Second one is just your typical smooth jazz beat, no particular name as far as I know. Third one sounds more Spanish than Latin even with the percussion, but no clue what it would be called.

just guessing.

• Members

The first one is a version of the samba. The second one is just a straight- ahead back-beat..not a lot of latin flavor in regards to the drumming. Same thing with the last tune - very fusion-y, less "traditional" so it's hard to pin-point exactely what it is. But I am not an expert on latin music.

Archived