X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a NON-Drummer by identifying these latin beats

Hey was hoping some drummers could tell me what these beats to these songs are called. I know they are latin, but Bosa Nova, Bolero, Afro-Cuban???

Its for a project im doing performing latinjazz and flamenco

1st:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1isv5s0uo

2nd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhRg...20539B&index=5

3rd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2SJf...20539B&index=9

Thanks.

elevator flamenco ... not really hearing or feeling any clave that is present in Afro-Cuban (which includes bolero) or bossanova.

It's hard to pin a name other than "elevator" on that style as it's so smoothed over.
    I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.

Comment

ottmar liebert is elevator flamenco? Wow

Comment

I don't mean to knock the guitar playing (which is very nice, btw) ... you asked about the rhythms. They are pretty bland/generic compared to the styles you were guessing. If you were to listen to actual bossanova or Afro-Cuban (which is a generalization of many styles of Cuban music), you would hear the difference. As I said, the rhythms have no clave feel, which is essential to the styles you were asking about.

Obviously a non-guitarist here (but I'll take Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza any day).

I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.

Comment

Agogobill is right about the clave feel or lack of it.
          great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

my guess:

First one sounds to me like Merengue. Second one is just your typical smooth jazz beat, no particular name as far as I know. Third one sounds more Spanish than Latin even with the percussion, but no clue what it would be called.

just guessing.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

The first one is a version of the samba. The second one is just a straight- ahead back-beat..not a lot of latin flavor in regards to the drumming. Same thing with the last tune - very fusion-y, less "traditional" so it's hard to pin-point exactely what it is. But I am not an expert on latin music.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

Tend to agree with all the previous. There must be hundreds of specific Lat/Cubo/Afran patterns. To me it's all mix and match like most of the pop music these days.
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something...

Comment

Working...
                X