Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Help out a NON-Drummer by identifying these latin beats

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a NON-Drummer by identifying these latin beats

Hey was hoping some drummers could tell me what these beats to these songs are called. I know they are latin, but Bosa Nova, Bolero, Afro-Cuban???

Its for a project im doing performing latinjazz and flamenco

1st:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1isv5s0uo

2nd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhRg...20539B&index=5

3rd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2SJf...20539B&index=9

Thanks.

elevator flamenco ... not really hearing or feeling any clave that is present in Afro-Cuban (which includes bolero) or bossanova.

It's hard to pin a name other than "elevator" on that style as it's so smoothed over.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.</div>

Comment

ottmar liebert is elevator flamenco? Wow

Comment

I don't mean to knock the guitar playing (which is very nice, btw) ... you asked about the rhythms. They are pretty bland/generic compared to the styles you were guessing. If you were to listen to actual bossanova or Afro-Cuban (which is a generalization of many styles of Cuban music), you would hear the difference. As I said, the rhythms have no clave feel, which is essential to the styles you were asking about.

Obviously a non-guitarist here (but I'll take Maria Rosario Pilar Martinez Molina Baeza any day).

<div class="signaturecontainer">I used to have a handle on life, but I gotta jiggle it every now and then.</div>

Comment

Agogobill is right about the clave feel or lack of it.
          <div class="signaturecontainer">great googley moogley- Frank Zappa<br><br><br><br>Missing the CHEESE And Marko<br><br>Hit it!<br><br>__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________<br><br><br><br><br> <br><br><br>Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2</div>

Comment

my guess:

First one sounds to me like Merengue. Second one is just your typical smooth jazz beat, no particular name as far as I know. Third one sounds more Spanish than Latin even with the percussion, but no clue what it would be called.

just guessing.

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

The first one is a version of the samba. The second one is just a straight- ahead back-beat..not a lot of latin flavor in regards to the drumming. Same thing with the last tune - very fusion-y, less "traditional" so it's hard to pin-point exactely what it is. But I am not an expert on latin music.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

Tend to agree with all the previous. There must be hundreds of specific Lat/Cubo/Afran patterns. To me it's all mix and match like most of the pop music these days.
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
                <div class="signaturecontainer">
                <div class="bbcode_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote">
                <div class="quote_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

Working...
                X