No announcement yet.

Ekit thiking about Alesis DM10x

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to your creations.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Ive been perfectly happy with my DM10 Studio for like 2.5 years. I did the non-solder mesh conversion almost right away. I use the Pearl heads, which hold up ok, but you want to use nylon sticks, or at least sticks that you DONT play on acoustic cymbals. The smallest bur or chip will eat through the heads.

Also, at least with the Pearls, the kick heads will need replacing every 6mos or so, maybe more often if you use felt beaters. My plastic Speedballs literally melted a rectangle out of the heads from friction.

As for the DM10 module. Once you spend an afternoon setting the parameters depending on your setup and surface, you wont have any complaints against any other module that costs under $1000.
      -Merlin Coryell-
      www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
      City - Metal from Portland, OR
      www.facebook.com/ndcity
      Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
      Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
      Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
      ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic
        View Post

That's a hell of a deal. Post pics and review.

bhphoto.com is also selling them at $999. It seems Alesis may be coming up with a new model soon. I really hope the new version comes with mesh pads. (i can't seem to stand the annoying tupperware noise these pads make for too long).

Easy mesh conversion: Just take off the head, then carefully snip the foam hole that the wiring runs through. Then place the trigger pad between the layers of foam and replace, taking care not to catch the wires on anything. Now you can install a mesh head without any trouble. Works just fine. I even went to a craft store and got 3/4" memory foam to make it even quieter under the mesh.
        -Merlin Coryell-
        www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin Coryell
          View Post

Easy mesh conversion: Just take off the head, then carefully snip the foam hole that the wiring runs through. Then place the trigger pad between the layers of foam and replace, taking care not to catch the wires on anything. Now you can install a mesh head without any trouble. Works just fine. I even went to a craft store and got 3/4" memory foam to make it even quieter under the mesh.

Yes, the mesh head conversion would be the right way to go. Probably using Roland Mesh heads (dual ply?) would be your best bet, but it aint' gonna be cheap. At least $250 + time.

There are other options like 682Drum heads, and other generic brands, but not sure how those will hold up against Roland mesh heads. Where did you buy Pearl mesh heads?

As for bass drum head, you should always use a protective patch to prolong the life of the mesh or rubber heads. The Evans EQ Double Bass Drum Patch works like a charm.

There is a rumor that Alesis may be going down financially. Most major retailers are getting rid of their Alesis stock. I really hope Alesis survives in the long run. After all, they do make great budget products.
          http://www.youtube.com/sonnetg

Comment

You can get the Pearls from MF, GC, or other major retailers. And they are dirt cheap. I couldnt get the Remo patches to hold to the kick heads, but I havent tried others. Now I dont worry, as I use the Axis ekit triggers, and the heads dont have to take the beating they did. Plus I now use the wood beaters, which sure dont eat through heads like plastic/felt/rubber ones do.

The Pearl heads are just fine, no need to spend crazy money on the Roland or Harts with these trigger pads.

Hadnt heard anything bad about Alesis. Given how much they produce for the Digital music, mixing, programming world I would be surprised if they went under and werent just bought. I know I would rush to get another DM10 module if that happened. Pads are pretty universal now, and plenty of other companies use similar ones to the Alesis units.
            -Merlin Coryell-
            www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Good stuff, thanks for the heads up on Pearl heads.

After watching this video, I may do the conversion. There is a huge difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFVsxTQJjk

I would hate to see Alesis go out of business, they have made great gear for regular musicians all the way to pro for a long time. I had an Alesis midi verb when I was in high school. That was a great unit, probably still working, and being used today by someone if it was taken care of. They're kind of like Behringer is now though, some junk, and some gems, just have to research and find out which products are the keepers.
              Local musicians united Facebook group
              82+ members and growing!

Comment

Don't take this the rong way but place kick pad directly on floor; play directly w/foots. Yes foots.

Sit on , you ready for this?

Chair.

Done.

Comment

Further proof that you don't actually have legs. That would mess up your mechanics with regards to playing with a pedal. It may also damage the trigger.

Comment

Then you send Box a pedal. Besides playing sans pedal enables a function unavailable with a single pedal.

DUBBEL KIX !1!!!1

blippity toot pweep

Comment

You are thinking too small 1001. Why use sticks or pads at all? All that tactile stuff just slows you down and gets in the way of the groove, which flows through the air naturally.

Adventures of Power had it right. "I dont need to play drums, I AM drums..."
                      -Merlin Coryell-
                      www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

In more serious regard to helping silence the floor thump of a kick pedal, I have had great luck with my neighbors at 3 different locations (including current top floor apt) by using a simple DIY riser. Just use the physics of alternating dense and less dense mass for the vibrations to work through and you should be good.

Mine Top down:

-Thick carpet/rug, something the velcro can grip to [Soft Layer]

-1/2" plywood [Dense Layer]

-2x layers of interlocking gym/garage foam rubber mats. [Softish Layer]

-Carpeted floor or thinner mat/rug if you have hard floors. [Soft Layer

Now, you will still "hear" the kick as much as normal (its pretty quiet with mesh heads though) but you wont "feel" it as much away from the kit, or next door. No complaints from the people below me yet.
                        -Merlin Coryell-
                        www.facebook.com/ndcity

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks
                          View Post

I pulled the trigger on the DM10x kit last night.

Sweetwater has them for 999.00 free ship right now. That's $350 off. And nobody will price match it. I tried. Best deal you can get. Go get it!

We've been using the dm8 to record for a bit. Can't complain about it. I tend to think the rack is the weakest link, but regular stands will work if it comes to that.

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.

I'm not a fan of racks at all, but eKits are always bundled with them.

The DM10X rack looks fairly sturdy (from reviews I've seen) but it's still a rack.

I'd like to use snare stands and cymbal stands, #1 eliminates cross talk indefinitly, #2 position of every drum exactly where it would be on an acoustic kit, and #3 looks and feel for me. I might do that, I'll have to see how this rack feels first. Should be here in a couple of days. Expect a full nerdy review.
                            82+ members and growing!

Comment

boxofrocks..i recall you had a youtube channel? did you close it? I was looking at the drum video thread and it seems your video links aren't working...

Anyhoo...racks aren't too bad. It's convenient if you have quite a few cymbals, but i agree on the limitations though. The DM 10x comes with a very sturdy chrome rack. It should hold up any abuse you can through at it. Looking forward to the review.
                              http://www.youtube.com/sonnetg

Comment

boxofrocks..i recall you had a youtube channel? did you close it? I was looking at the drum video thread and it seems your video links aren't working...

Yeah I did, had a bunch of spam and stuff and deleted it.

Search for Simon Kent Smith or North Border Gardener.. One is my music channel the other is gardening and stuff. Sub me I'll sub ya back
                                82+ members and growing!

Comment

Working...
                                X