a question...

the DW

• Members

Do any of you regularly replace the spring assembly on your kick pedal? Has anyone ever had a failure in the field? Just curious. I've never had a problem, but it would be a real bummer if it failed on the job because of metal fatigue.

...or am I being too paranoid?

• Members

Never had one break at a gig........when I would shed when I was younger in my parents basement, I broke a couple. They would actually wear thin at the eyelets and then let go. I do keep a couple of spare springs along with some other assorted odds and ends in one of my gig bags just in case.

• Members

Never had one break at a gig........when I would shed when I was younger in my parents basement, I broke a couple. They would actually wear thin at the eyelets and then let go. I do keep a couple of spare springs along with some other assorted odds and ends in one of my gig bags just in case.

• Members

Never had a bass pedal spring fail. but years ago with my first pedal with my B-grade first set (Maxwin by Pearl) the spring would fall off the top post eyelid and I would have to keep reattaching it. Until I got a heavy duty paper clip and staightened it out and then used it to safety wire the top hoop of the pedal spring into place.

Later on, I got a used Ludwig Rocker II pedal with a chain drive and in the middle of a garage practice session, one of the links just broke and no more bass pedal and it was easier to buy a new pedal then fix the old one. That was 20 years ago. Other than that, has been no problem except today my foot work isn't near what it used to be. LOL

• Members

Never had a bass pedal spring fail. but years ago with my first pedal with my B-grade first set (Maxwin by Pearl) the spring would fall off the top post eyelid and I would have to keep reattaching it. Until I got a heavy duty paper clip and staightened it out and then used it to safety wire the top hoop of the pedal spring into place.

Later on, I got a used Ludwig Rocker II pedal with a chain drive and in the middle of a garage practice session, one of the links just broke and no more bass pedal and it was easier to buy a new pedal then fix the old one. That was 20 years ago. Other than that, has been no problem except today my foot work isn't near what it used to be. LOL

• Members

I use maximum tension whenever possible. Have for decades. What happens is the eye hole on the spring anchor starts to wear and actually squeak. Regular siliconing takes care of the squeak. The wear; maybe it gets retarded somewhat. That setup in industrial use - (kilo oodles of alien hrs) - WILL fail.
I stomp on 'em daily but not very aggressively. I just keep an eye on 'em.

On that note, pedals should have a swivel on the bottom spring attachment. The stress there is just rong.

• Members

I use maximum tension whenever possible. Have for decades. What happens is the eye hole on the spring anchor starts to wear and actually squeak. Regular siliconing takes care of the squeak. The wear; maybe it gets retarded somewhat. That setup in industrial use - (kilo oodles of alien hrs) - WILL fail.
I stomp on 'em daily but not very aggressively. I just keep an eye on 'em.

On that note, pedals should have a swivel on the bottom spring attachment. The stress there is just rong.

• Members

Yes, have had failures of both the spring (breaking at the end which connects to the hook) and the hook itself.

I've been using the same design pedal (the first-gen strap-drive Tama model based on the classic Camco design) for more than 20 years at this point. Perhaps that's a flaw of the design, but I like the pedal, I've got 4-5 of them, and switch among them for gigs and rehearsing. A new pedal model isn't in my immediate future now, and certainly wasn't back when I had those failures. So I bought 2 full spring assemblies, from top hook to bottom attachment, plus a coule spare springs and hooks, and kept them all in my stick bag just in case. Better safe than screwed at a gig.

Haven't had a failure of any part in a long time now, but I also have swapped out springs alone before, as they seemed to become less responsive over years of use. Probably due for that again now.

• Members

Yes, have had failures of both the spring (breaking at the end which connects to the hook) and the hook itself.

I've been using the same design pedal (the first-gen strap-drive Tama model based on the classic Camco design) for more than 20 years at this point. Perhaps that's a flaw of the design, but I like the pedal, I've got 4-5 of them, and switch among them for gigs and rehearsing. A new pedal model isn't in my immediate future now, and certainly wasn't back when I had those failures. So I bought 2 full spring assemblies, from top hook to bottom attachment, plus a coule spare springs and hooks, and kept them all in my stick bag just in case. Better safe than screwed at a gig.

Haven't had a failure of any part in a long time now, but I also have swapped out springs alone before, as they seemed to become less responsive over years of use. Probably due for that again now.

Archived