All you drum cover guys,

1001gear

• Members

S

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill View Post
yeah but don't these guys ever get out of the basement ... ya know like go play in bars or something?
Or in this case, out of the storage locker...

I'm trying to understand what's so 'right' about the example, though...

I play covers pretty regularly.
I wouldn't be playing music like in the example, ever, though. If I brought a song like in the example to any of the projects i actively gig with, it would be very, very wrong, in numerous ways.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
S

I wouldn't be playing music like in the example, ever, though. If I brought a song like in the example to any of the projects i actively gig with, it would be very, very wrong, in numerous ways.
Yea,I agree ......Anybody amazing live?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post
I fully expected to see this when I opened this thread:

main-9170a864c5a31f6bd34518bc0b2bad27_zpbiggrin.gif
Typical cover nonetheless. Renders all the important parts indistinguishable and fails to properly cover the kick drum parts.

Quote Originally Posted by kmart View Post
S

Quote Originally Posted by zildjian@consol View Post
Yea,I agree ......Anybody amazing live?
Yabut there's no Kmart plays Lamb of Gods greatest hits on Ytube. The genre in question is the gratuitous can play song X video. Minneman just came up with the best I've come across. Worth at least a 5 or 6 on the sarcastometer.

@ Zildjian, The videos look like a single pass. Essentially live.
Steve Gadd is amazing live but far from cutting edge anymore. Not that Minneman is at the front - he might be IDK - I like the wittiness and precision; two elements that are so often lacking if not missing entirely.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear

View Post

Not that Minneman is at the front - he might be IDK - I like the wittiness and precision; two elements that are so often lacking if not missing entirely.

Marco Minnemann is one of the most humorous drummers I've ever seen, and I love him for it. He showed up to the Dream Theater audition in a Cookie Monster t-shirt.

• Members

Don't remember the video per se but I do recall him not seeming right for DT. I guess Mangini had the in on it from the get go.
I like what he does there though. Good thing the tune is way in the back I'd prolly hate it.

Might as well make this a trilogy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Speaking of boring, in my quest for "the music" I've paid attention to local cover bands - some pros, even the odd hotties but mostly regular peeps that can moonlight at pop music. You get all kinds of approximations of radio fare new and old and the one thing that sticks about the best players is consistency. It's a rare breed but the few I've been able to observe have gone for decades on the same sets. Oh they keep up with the times too but they find the good groove on a tune and don't screw with it- seems like ever. lol
Anyway, most can deal with most pop tunes. They're easy to play. Unless you have to go 40 yrs with 'em.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear View Post
Speaking of boring, in my quest for "the music" I've paid attention to local cover bands - some pros, even the odd hotties but mostly regular peeps that can moonlight at pop music. You get all kinds of approximations of radio fare new and old and the one thing that sticks about the best players is consistency. It's a rare breed but the few I've been able to observe have gone for decades on the same sets. Oh they keep up with the times too but they find the good groove on a tune and don't screw with it- seems like ever. lol
Anyway, most can deal with most pop tunes. They're easy to play. Unless you have to go 40 yrs with 'em.
100% agreed. A good song is a good song, no matter when it was written! some tunes just have a built in groove, and if you find it, its a great thing. Sweet Home Alabama, played right, is a killer groove, imho.
I think its DiDubs sig that says good playing hides a crappy set, but a good set wont hide crappy playing. Too true.
s

• Members

Thought I'd throw that in. It's kinda the basis of the way I've been practicing lately. In short, I figure the best way to achieve that kind of discipline is to make the basics automatic and mindless as possible. Towards that end I've gone sub-rudimental to the actual physical consistency and muscle movement required of drumming. It's kind of a self fulfilling trek to where you can eventually appreciate and enjoy the magic of competence.

That said, I think the musical intellect requires complexity as well. You gotta make things happen or once you know and understand your rhythmic space it's too easy to make a routine of your playing and stop growing - Point A to point B to C to D and back to A again and again. Complexity and "fanciness" may be an effect of that process but it's more about discovery and the sensations of new rhythms. I for one like it there. Wanna get there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear

View Post

....it's more about discovery and the sensations of new rhythms. I for one like it there...

This is why I'm enjoying the weekly Jazz gig. Doesn't pay shit (I end up spending more on drinks than I get paid!), but the experience is just incredible! I'm finding that the more I learn, the more that I can see what I have YET to learn. It's especially gratifying when I see folks in the club enjoying the music. That's the icing on the cake for me!

Archived