X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Demon Drive

Howdy folks. Sorry for the long post I am considering this pedal as it seems revolutionary.

Here's my problem, I can only use 4 muscle groups from the waist down due to a spinal cord injury. For the most part I've overcome as I have good quadriceps, adductors and about 50 % recovery for my hamstrings and 100 % for the muscles that lifts up your leg when in a sitting position.

I wear what they call AFO's which stabilize my ankes so they can't "drop foot" if you will and allows for ankle movement (flex) and I cannot play with out these braces. No heal toe technique here no sir!

I've had mostly pearl pedals throughout the years, played on some crappy strapped pedals, then swithed to DW 5000 which I hated cause I always broke the bottom hinge about ever 2 years and always during a gig, then the pedal goes sideways and f's up the chain so you may as well throw it.

Move on to the pearl 900's and I demoed them against whatever the top of the line DW was at the time and they felt better so went with them as heavier duty. Going about 4 years later I can't stand the 900's, sorry don't like em, crap, you can't get a nice solid triplet bounce off the head at all even using the pedals on the plastic side and it's like to get anything out of them you have mash the **** out of them.

My AFO's are heavy so I want something with good response that I don't have to hammer down to make drum go boom.

Back in late 80's played a dude's yamaha, WOW loved it, but have no idea what series or anything.

Also played on a plain old export pedal back in the day on a buddy's kit, was actually a nice responsive pedal.

So I guess what ya'll recommendations for something like this? Demon drive seems like an improvement using physics that makes much more sense than a chain because it's active and you don't have that chain delay. Also it has slicko adjustable footpedal which I think would be a very useful adjustability trait.

I have yet to meet another drummer with the same dis-ABILIY before, so it's hard to find someone with the same challenges.

I know I have to just go demo one but it's like this, dudes are pretty busy in the stores and when they see me walk in they kinda shy away cause I walk funny and quite clumsy due to the paralysis and I like what internet opinions are from actual people before buying.

So I guess what ya'll recommendations are? If you have used the Demon Drive is it really that much better? I really don't care about the brand name, my main concern is function and reliability.

I haven't played the Demon Drives, but I strongly suspect that it's got to be 100% subjective and up to you to figure whats good/better/best, ESPECIALLY given your situation.

Nobody on this forum can tell you if the DD will work better or worse or indifferent given that.
    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

I haven't played the Demon Drives, but I strongly suspect that it's got to be 100% subjective and up to you to figure whats good/better/best, ESPECIALLY given your situation.

Nobody on this forum can tell you if the DD will work better or worse or indifferent given that.
      For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

Im going to take out any consideration of your dis-Ability, as I dont have a frame of reference. I just think its cool as hell that your playing and enjoying it! And screw the salesmen. MAKE them pay attention to you! Your money is just as good as anybody elses!

That said, Ive played Pearl Eliminators all my life. I love them, love the way I can get triplets off the bass (which I cant seem to do with any other pedal, though thats my own fault, I suspect). The Demons are expensive, but anytime Ive played them they have felt real nice. I also like the DW 500s. I get nice action off of those. I personally find those two to be the sturdiest, and widest in terms of toe placement, which works for me, and which I suspect may work well for you. The Mapex raptors feel good, but they have a smaller footprint, and if you wearing a brace type of thing, may not be enough space for you.

I dont know if this helps or not. I hope it does. Let us know what you decide. And remember, dont let the salesmens attitude, real or perceived, affect your demo time. They are there to serve you!
        Wha?
        PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

Im going to take out any consideration of your dis-Ability, as I dont have a frame of reference. I just think its cool as hell that your playing and enjoying it! And screw the salesmen. MAKE them pay attention to you! Your money is just as good as anybody elses!

That said, Ive played Pearl Eliminators all my life. I love them, love the way I can get triplets off the bass (which I cant seem to do with any other pedal, though thats my own fault, I suspect). The Demons are expensive, but anytime Ive played them they have felt real nice. I also like the DW 500s. I get nice action off of those. I personally find those two to be the sturdiest, and widest in terms of toe placement, which works for me, and which I suspect may work well for you. The Mapex raptors feel good, but they have a smaller footprint, and if you wearing a brace type of thing, may not be enough space for you.

I dont know if this helps or not. I hope it does. Let us know what you decide. And remember, dont let the salesmens attitude, real or perceived, affect your demo time. They are there to serve you!
          Wha?
          PERCUSUS! THE GOD OF RHYTHM!

Comment

I haven't put my feet on the DD's in quite a while, but from what I remember they are light (feeling) pedals. That could have just been the way they were set up, because I didn't mess with them. If you are interested in the long board option they have, you may want to look into some actual long board pedals. The DD's version of a long board doesn't really make the foot board that much longer, but just puts the hing at the back. The down side of that is that if you don't have the heel plate aligned perfectly, the pedal makes a clicking sound because the direct drive link rubs against the pedal/beater assembly. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but just FYI if you choose to go with the DD's

There are other direct drive pedals out there, Axis (long boards & regular), Trick (big foot & regular), Yamaha flying dragons with direct drive (if they still make them), and there is a Mapex pedal that has direct drive and it's either call the Falcon or Raptor, I just don't remember which is which.

If you are interested in "long boards" you can look at the ones I've already mentioned, as well as the Tama Speed Cobra.

I would still suggest going out and putting your feet on some pedals to see what you like. If you get customer no service from the shop employees, bring someone with you to help you set up a pedal testing area, and take over their shop with your research. I'll let you make your decision regarding if you want to buy from them due to their customer no service.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Comment

I haven't put my feet on the DD's in quite a while, but from what I remember they are light (feeling) pedals. That could have just been the way they were set up, because I didn't mess with them. If you are interested in the long board option they have, you may want to look into some actual long board pedals. The DD's version of a long board doesn't really make the foot board that much longer, but just puts the hing at the back. The down side of that is that if you don't have the heel plate aligned perfectly, the pedal makes a clicking sound because the direct drive link rubs against the pedal/beater assembly. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but just FYI if you choose to go with the DD's

There are other direct drive pedals out there, Axis (long boards & regular), Trick (big foot & regular), Yamaha flying dragons with direct drive (if they still make them), and there is a Mapex pedal that has direct drive and it's either call the Falcon or Raptor, I just don't remember which is which.

If you are interested in "long boards" you can look at the ones I've already mentioned, as well as the Tama Speed Cobra.

I would still suggest going out and putting your feet on some pedals to see what you like. If you get customer no service from the shop employees, bring someone with you to help you set up a pedal testing area, and take over their shop with your research. I'll let you make your decision regarding if you want to buy from them due to their customer no service.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Comment

+1 On what Symbolic said, and Ill throw in the DD Gibraltar Intruders to the mix.

If its a LIGHT and easy to play pedal that wont strain you after a lot of playing, but you are not looking to play super fast stuff, I cant recommend trying the Gibraltar Catapult enough. It feels very different from any pedal, but takes almost no effort to play.

But also, cant agree with KMart more. You gotta try em all.
                -Merlin Coryell-
                www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
                City - Metal from Portland, OR
                www.facebook.com/ndcity
                Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
                Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
                Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
                ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

+1 On what Symbolic said, and Ill throw in the DD Gibraltar Intruders to the mix.

If its a LIGHT and easy to play pedal that wont strain you after a lot of playing, but you are not looking to play super fast stuff, I cant recommend trying the Gibraltar Catapult enough. It feels very different from any pedal, but takes almost no effort to play.

But also, cant agree with KMart more. You gotta try em all.
                  -Merlin Coryell-
                  www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
                  City - Metal from Portland, OR
                  www.facebook.com/ndcity
                  Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
                  Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
                  Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
                  ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

Comment

@ nchangin,

How exactly do your feet function? How much down force can you apply? Are you able to lift your toes ie angle your feet upwards?
                    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something...

Comment

@ nchangin,

How exactly do your feet function? How much down force can you apply? Are you able to lift your toes ie angle your feet upwards?
                      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something...

Comment

Nchangin, cool to see you here!

Regarding the pedals, I messed around on some Demon Drives at a GC and agree, they felt LIGHT, fast, and smooth. Really geared towards fast movement and perfect for the modern metal crowd.

Personally, though, I didn't care for it. I like a little bit of resistance in my pedal (spring tension, that feeling of solidness), as I have a heavy foot. As such, I really liked the Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide - I felt like it pushed back when I wanted it to and bounced appropriately, yet I could still blast out the 32nd notes when needed.

As Kmart said, though, with none of us knowing about how your technique truly has adapted, you're really going to have to hit up the stores and demo, demo, demo!
                        Music, music, I hear music

Comment

Nchangin, cool to see you here!

Regarding the pedals, I messed around on some Demon Drives at a GC and agree, they felt LIGHT, fast, and smooth. Really geared towards fast movement and perfect for the modern metal crowd.

Personally, though, I didn't care for it. I like a little bit of resistance in my pedal (spring tension, that feeling of solidness), as I have a heavy foot. As such, I really liked the Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide - I felt like it pushed back when I wanted it to and bounced appropriately, yet I could still blast out the 32nd notes when needed.

As Kmart said, though, with none of us knowing about how your technique truly has adapted, you're really going to have to hit up the stores and demo, demo, demo!
                          Music, music, I hear music

Comment

If anyone wants to buy a pearl eliminator double kick willing to sell it and I've used the double pedal probably 3 times tops!

1001gear: My toes don't move nor more ankles nor anything below the knee just flops like a dead fish, they are paralyzed.

Everyone else: Thank you so much for the suggestions, it is very helpful hearing from other drummers using this gear or who even demod the gear. I am not a metal player by any means but I am fussy on detail and keeping the beat but I like to be able to do some footwork as well if called for and I really do believe in dynamics of the bass drum to be a sweet thing if used correctly. I am not actively drumming live as I am getting a little past my prime but do it on the side for fill in work if the money is right.

When I get a chance I will have to demo some of these out see how it feels. What aggravates me about store trials is that if a pedal is setup goofy from the factory i will never know if it is a good solution because I don't get the time to doodle with the settings (tension etc). I suppose I could always buy one and return it within the 60 days at GC. Again thanks folks.

Comment

Tonight I will look up some of these pedals when I get home questions to follow!

Comment

Working...
                              X