Pearl

mraia3

• Members

What do you guys know about the higher end Pearls, like the MCX Customs? I know their maple, and you can get a 4 piece ( 2 rack, bass, floor) for about $1600.00. any experience with these?
What about the Vision Artisan lines?
I always liked Pearl, since I got my first exports and Im falling out of like with my Mapex Meridiens.
Do I NEED a $1600 4 piece? Gig infrequently...dont record...I just like Pearl drums and dont want to take a step backwards in quality, hence the Vison vs MCX question.

Have at it, boys.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To me the pro stuff will all sound good give or take. Main criteria being how and what kind of tone they project and how they boom back at you. The latter is big to me; gigging pros, the reverse no doubt. I'd prefer some type of Yamaha Customs. They have tone almost guaranteed but besides the expense, you can't get the kicks w/out that battleship antenna of a tom post. Pearl Masters come ala carte. Big plus in that regard.

I'd say YOU have at it.

• Members

To me the pro stuff will all sound good give or take. Main criteria being how and what kind of tone they project and how they boom back at you. The latter is big to me; gigging pros, the reverse no doubt. I'd prefer some type of Yamaha Customs. They have tone almost guaranteed but besides the expense, you can't get the kicks w/out that battleship antenna of a tom post. Pearl Masters come ala carte. Big plus in that regard.

I'd say YOU have at it.

• Members

If one comes stock with some variation on the age-old retarded Pearl tom mounting travesty, especially a kick drum mount, then I'd pass.
I swear, between that and their generally sub-standard (IMO) stand hardware, I'm personally put off of Pearl for life. Bugs me to no end that in order to mount some new trigger pads I want to integrate in my kit, I'll have to use a Pearl-style arm...

• Members

If one comes stock with some variation on the age-old retarded Pearl tom mounting travesty, especially a kick drum mount, then I'd pass.
I swear, between that and their generally sub-standard (IMO) stand hardware, I'm personally put off of Pearl for life. Bugs me to no end that in order to mount some new trigger pads I want to integrate in my kit, I'll have to use a Pearl-style arm...

• Members

Yeah, you get it.
I've a pair now. And a Hart Hammer which uses the same style mount.
Inconceivable.

I actually have the live kit and rack at the house right now after last Friday's gig, and am trying to get that all sorted in the next few days.

• Members

Yeah, you get it.
I've a pair now. And a Hart Hammer which uses the same style mount.
Inconceivable.

I actually have the live kit and rack at the house right now after last Friday's gig, and am trying to get that all sorted in the next few days.

• Members

oh lordy lord lord.............lol. If your a beginner...did he actually say that...yes, yes he did.

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill View Post
Pearl is the best out there.

Just ask this guy if you don't believe me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvm0hOt-m8
Nothing wrong with Pearl drums....they are like any other company..you buy cheaper kit, its cheap. Buy a higher end kit and they are great. Ive never had stand failure, but have had a couple of theyre uni lock arms not hold at times. My good set "" is a masters custom maple, they have been great drums and have held up well, even tho gigging heavily since I purchased them i 96'.........

• Members

oh lordy lord lord.............lol. If your a beginner...did he actually say that...yes, yes he did.

Quote Originally Posted by agogobill View Post
Pearl is the best out there.

Just ask this guy if you don't believe me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlvm0hOt-m8
Nothing wrong with Pearl drums....they are like any other company..you buy cheaper kit, its cheap. Buy a higher end kit and they are great. Ive never had stand failure, but have had a couple of theyre uni lock arms not hold at times. My good set "" is a masters custom maple, they have been great drums and have held up well, even tho gigging heavily since I purchased them i 96'.........

• Members

I owned a Masters Custom maple kit and still have a Masters Studio birch kit. I definitely liked the sound of the maple over the birch. Mic'd up, the maple kick was absolutely wonderful. Both kits were gigged heavily with no issues. I will echo kmart that Pearl's stands are sub-standard and will never waste money on them again.

• Members

I owned a Masters Custom maple kit and still have a Masters Studio birch kit. I definitely liked the sound of the maple over the birch. Mic'd up, the maple kick was absolutely wonderful. Both kits were gigged heavily with no issues. I will echo kmart that Pearl's stands are sub-standard and will never waste money on them again.

• Members

bd......what stands were failing for ya???

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy

View Post

• Members

bd......what stands were failing for ya???

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy

View Post

Archived