Happy New Year!

SYMBOLIC

• Members

I want to wish everyone on the Drum Forum a happy new year.

I also want to take a minute to think about those we have lost, both here and in our personal lives, and all the new accomplishments we have achieved.

I think we should also use this thread to take a look at what we hope to achieve in 2013.

For me, I have had a good year. I will be having a boy in late May 2013, which I am looking forward to. I just hope my 4-year-old son will adjust. I ended the year on a high note drum-wise, as I broke the 270bpm mark with my feet today, as a result of going back to my old pedal settings. Now I just have to get my hands up to that speed, they max at 260bpm, so I have something to work on in 2013.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC View Post
For me, I have had a good year. I will be having a boy in late May 2013, which I am looking forward to. I just hope my 4-year-old son will adjust. I ended the year on a high note drum-wise, as I broke the 270bpm mark with my feet today, as a result of going back to my old pedal settings. Now I just have to get my hands up to that speed, they max at 260bpm, so I have something to work on in 2013.
As someone who started out in marching percussion, this is bizarre to me.

Happy new year, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cratz

View Post

As someone who started out in marching percussion, this is bizarre to me.

My hands max 16ths at 260, but I can still play 8ths with my hands at 270. I know it's weird, but my feet have always had a slightly faster max speed than my hands, and they have to catch up over time. I'm just weird that way.

• Members

Happy New Year, amigos!

I hope everyone has a safe, prosperous, and pleasing year ahead of them.

My music goals this year include:

- Launching my pop/ funk band, Boom Stick
- Launching my new groovy cover band
- Getting set up for demo recording with my new mic set and starting to do basic drum demos for cheap money!
- Breaking out of the "fill mold" I'm in right now and getting more creative on my turn-arounds
- ^^^...yet playing less fills.
- Enjoy the drums more each time I play them!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
My music goals this year include:

- Launching my pop/ funk band, Boom Stick
- Launching my new groovy cover band
- Getting set up for demo recording with my new mic set and starting to do basic drum demos for cheap money!
- Breaking out of the "fill mold" I'm in right now and getting more creative on my turn-arounds
- ^^^...yet playing less fills.
- Enjoy the drums more each time I play them!
I must say, Boom Stick sounds like a good name for a bluegrass group.

On a more serious note, relating to your fills comments, how about thinking of it as "fewer fills, but make them count"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SYMBOLIC View Post
My hands max 16ths at 260, but I can still play 8ths with my hands at 270. I know it's weird, but my feet have always had a slightly faster max speed than my hands, and they have to catch up over time. I'm just weird that way.
It does make some sense for someone playing some of the heavier metal for a long time. I've known a few guys in the same boat, but the notion just clashes with my particular background. smile.gif

What kind of music do you play with that kind of speed?

Archived