Bah Humbug.

the DW

• Members

Had a fill-in gig with an old band last Friday. As we're loading up, the keyboard player asks me if I could do a gig today (Christmas Eve) in the morning for the Aloha Bowl at the stadium. I asked him, "what time do we play?" He says 10:30 am. OK, good because I have stuff to do in the late afternoon.

So today, I wake up early, get ready and head down there at about 8:30, just to make sure. I get there, and no one is around. I call the keyboard guy, and he tells me, "no, SET UP is at 10:30. We play from 12 to around 3-ish."

Why is it musicians OTHER than drummers are so {censored}ing stupid? If I asked any of you guys "what time do we play", you would know I mean what time is 'downbeat', not what time is set up.

...oh yeah, this is a FREEBIE gig. Like the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished." mad.gifmad.gif

• Members

OK, it gets better: So I go back there, and as instructed, I go down the North tunnel to playing field level, and unload there, then go park my car ALL THE WAY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STADIUM, which is where the pass they gave me is good for. After walking all the way back, I call the keyboard guy, and tell him where I am. He tells me that's the wrong place. I tell him, "that's what you told me this morning when I first called you!", and he denied saying that. So to get where I need to go, I have to carry my {censored} up one flight of stairs, then back down another flight of stairs, then roll everything a couple of hundred yards to get to the stage. Turns out, there is a driveway that I was supposed to access, which was right next to where I parked! It comes right down to where the party was. OMG, I was FUMING!!

However, I calmed down, and the gig went fine. Turns out the lead guy (NOT the keyboard dude) likes my playing, and asked if he could call me for other (paying) gigs. All's well that ends well, I guess.

• Members

Yeah, You have a right to be mad, it's called professionalism. You wouldn't tell a home builder "yeah, be there at 5am and start building my house in the lot there" or even tell a waitress "yes, bring me my food" without ordering first.

Now does crap happen?, Yes. But I feel that DW was making more of an observation of how many fail to follow through or even admit it when they don't know rather than being surprised that it did happen. I mean the Aloha Bowl has been played for how many months?? The contact could've done more planning. Glad it turned out well for ya!! Any of the gigs for New Years?? Have a good one DW!

• Members

Yup, that must have been it. LOL!

He's a GREAT keyboard player, but is one of those folks that have a poor sense of direction, and is not articulate enough to explain stuff well. Oh well, this was an unusual location... and the load-OUT was effortless! thumb.gif

Hope you all had a great Christmas holiday! I sure did.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by the DW

View Post

However, I calmed down, and the gig went fine. Turns out the lead guy (NOT the keyboard dude) likes my playing, and asked if he could call me for other (paying) gigs. All's well that ends well, I guess.

And this is why you're the pro you are, my friend. thumb.gif

Archived