Switching cymbals mid-show

FitchFY

• Members

I encountered a reality with one of my bands where I may want to switch hi-hats amidst a gig. There's a lot of little details that go into this, including feel, dynamics, sound, etc, but it's something I may want to do.

I guess I question whether it would be worth it. Having two hi-hat set-ups isn't really an option, and it certainly adds some weight to the cymbal bag... any of you cats use varying cymbals within a show, like swapping hi-hats or ride cymbals?

• Members

Never done this and have not seen it done. Most cover drummers I've seen when faced with gear dilemmas just do the best approximations they can. The better ones and their bands are always blend concious so you don't feel the instrumentation is wrong even if it is. That said and continuing off the top of my head, if you feel the need for an alternate set, it's only a pair of cymbals, go for it. 

• Members

I've never changed Hi-hats mid show, but I have (on rare occasions) changed a crash out for a smaller/bigger crash or a china instead of a crash. I think changing out a HH may is a bit more involved and you're really pushing for time.  If it's a cover gig, and you have a set break it could work.   The question is two-fold,

1) Is this 2nd set of hats for one song or many?

2) If #1 is "many",  Could you arrange the set so those songs are all together?

My opinion is that I believe the "return on investment" of time, engery, and weight isn't worth bringing extra hats.  I seriously doubt anyone else in the band or audience would know the difference.

DB

• Members

Never seen anyone do it....but its possible. just have them ready with an extra clutch already setup. would take what? 20-30 seconds.?? as long as everything is clear of em. Most guys I have seen that want a different hat sound, set them up on a remote system....leaves the wait, and chance for soemthing to go wrong out of the equation.

• Members

So what is wrong with having an extra set and running them off of a remote hihat pedal? I have 2 sets, one in the traditional spot and a locked-closed set just under my ride cymbal over my bass drum. Graounted I don't know what your specific needs are, but seems to me you can find a way around hard-swapping them onstage while everyone in the band shuffles awkwardly.

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It would take half a day to explain the mind-set I have, what I want to hear, my set up, my playing style, yadda yadda... we all know the variations of someone's gear usage and their needs.

I was looking more for whether someone has done this or seen some pros and cons... at the end of the day, I'll likely just stick to one pair, but I thought I'd see what the ol' HC sounding board thought. Thanks again!

• Members

drumtechdad wrote:

Take a poll after the gig and see if
anyone
in the room noticed the different sound on that song or songs.

That's exactly what I thought. For all our agonizing over nuance, live cymbal sound is most often dismally homogenous...especially to the common listener.

Archived