dying to be heard..

rdrummer322

• Members

I need to do something. Granted my hearing has deteriorated some, but I can still play. No school clinics in the foreseeable future, I'm in my 60s now, not ready to hang it up.
I try to play at least an hour everyday, usually reviewing old stuff, with a little new stuff thrown in. I'm doing things that have never been heard before (slightly taping the top of double stacked symbals so I can put my stick on the bottom cymbal and ride both cymbals simultaneously, running my bass sixteenths backwards so the hihat is carried on the eighths for example), but have no ability to share with anyone. Should I invest in a new video camera and be satisfied with making videos? Should I try to book more school clinics and keep doing same o same o?
There are a couple of coffeeshop type places in town, I've been real tempted to go that route, but what coffeeshop wants a drum soloist banging around for an hour and a half?
A couple of people that have stopped in to watch me play actually preferred my fooling around jamming on my set to the prepared tunes, said I should post youtubes of me just playing at random, but I tell them that kind of stuff has been done before by better drummers than me. The only thing I really have going is the uniqueness of melodic drumming.
I've done a few folk jigs melodically just for kicks. That is fun, but no one else would be interested in hearing old Irish folk jigs done on a drumset..
Sorry for the rant, just finished a practice session that sounded amazing to me and realized no one in the world has heard this stuff and unless I play out or video it no one else ever will.
Sounds like a brag, in reality I'm maybe an average drummer who found a unique niche. Problem is no one cares. What do you think I should do? Quit? I'm old, getting slower, can hardly hear anyway. Try to go to more schools? Boring, and there are just so many kids you can deal with at one time. Other options?
Retirement is coming soon, so if I want I can spend all my time devoted to becoming better. But why? Who wants to hear an old drummer playing songs on a drumset?(Actually thought about putting together a mellow 2 hour gig of melodic drumming, mallets only and try to book cruise ships as a cocktail performer). Talk about reaching for it.. I need to find an outlet.
No, I can not play with other musicians. That is gone forever because of the hearing loss.. I miss it a lot already.
Sorry for the rant, guess I just need some human drummer interaction..

• Members

You don't know who would and wouldn't be interested in anything, no matter how esoteric (such as Irish jigs done on a drum set). I say post the videos!

Also, many coffee shops can be pretty open-minded about who performs. You've got nothing to lose by approaching the owner about doing a performance.

• Members

Jim, what about collaboration? You create very unique melodic soundscapes.... what about recording yourself and then posting it for people to add their own music to? We see people all over asking for collaboration FROM a drummer... why not a drummer asking for collaboration from them?

Ya never know what music could come from that...

• Members

I think you need to think a whole lot about what's more important: playing how you want or beeing seen playing

The reality is your particular 'product' is not widely sought after, so opportunities to perform, especially given your specific instrument layout, are going to be fewer and further between. If its more important to you to play your kit, your way, then I think you have to accept what that means in terms of options to perform.

If, however, it's more important to you to simply perform in front of appreciative audiences, you could consider changing your product somehow to appeal to a wider population, and thus, have more choices available for performing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Jim, what about collaboration? You create very unique melodic soundscapes.... what about recording yourself and then posting it for people to add their own music to? We see people all over asking for collaboration FROM a drummer... why not a drummer asking for collaboration from them?

Ya never know what music could come from that...
Thats a great idea. You could try groovezoo.com. It's free to join. You post a file and people can come in and add to to what you post or you can join other peoples sessions and add your thing to what they have.

• Members

RD.....

Man, do I understand that one. I'm balanced against the eternal tug of playing for commerce vs playing for what you really want to play vs how long you have left to do it with....Its not hearing with me, its my right arm. Bad RSI, Carpal, whatever you want to call it. I've been rehabbing and relearning technique , and that does help, but I know that there is only a certain amount of shelf life left. Do I want to earn 50-100 bucks hauling my gear out to play songs for crowds that are too busy texting, chatting to give a {censored} about what's on stage, or do I stay in the basement, and play and try to perfect the material that means the most to me?

RD, whatever happens, don't ever stop playing, period. I quit playing between 1988 and 2000 because of jobs and moving and life BS... the only way I'll stop now is if this physical condition becomes too bad and I can't play the way I'm accustomed to playing. you have advantages now that didn't exist even 10 years ago. Make as many vids as you can and post'em to Youtube. Learn the basics on professional lighting, editing, etc, make your product stand out from the cutsey cats on treadmills and gangam style BS. Protect whatever hearing you have left, that's utmost. But, if you are still physically able to play, there's no reason whatsoever to stop. If there was no live venues at all ( and believe me, that is becoming a problem) That's no reason for you to give up on something that is as big a part of your life as it obviously is. You just may have to redirect to different outlets. Record your pieces, and put them on online radio. As many of the 'old school' doors that are closing, there are new ones opening up.

I've only seen Video clips of you in action, but I love what you do, and there's no way you should stop unless you are truly ' done' with it.

thumb.gifthumb.gifPEACEthumb.gifthumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rdrummer322 View Post
...Retirement is coming soon, so if I want I can spend all my time devoted to becoming better...
So if you are able to devote 100% of your spare time to music, why limit yourself in ANY way? Do whatever comes along. Nothing wrong with making videos AND playing solo on cruise ships AND composing and sharing online AND doing 'side' projects with your bass player friend AND...... you get the point.

Nothing wrong with being a "DW" (drum whore). Do it all.... until you can't do it no mo'.

my two cents.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by the DW View Post
So if you are able to devote 100% of your spare time to music, why limit yourself in ANY way? Do whatever comes along. Nothing wrong with making videos AND playing solo on cruise ships AND composing and sharing online AND doing 'side' projects with your bass player friend AND...... you get the point.

Nothing wrong with being a "DW" (drum whore). Do it all.... until you can't do it no mo'.

my two cents.
If you do this you can never say I wished that would have done.......

• Members

I know you have hearing problems........but..have you ever thought of an IEM rig?? Protect your hearing while still being able to hear? I see no reason why you cant play out with some bands/jam sessions/.......if Im missing something just fill me in. Is it Cant or Dont want to?? You got mad skills on your wild setup...im sure your skills are just as amazing on a regular kit too!......teaching/clinics/shows for the hospitalized/ veterans / kids.............your happiness is in you Jim, just gotta find a way to get it out.

Archived