Anybody played the New Simmons SD9K Kit?

Primal Yell

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Trigger external drum sound generator (sound module, computer software)"

That means you can trigger external drum sounds via MIDI.

My initial thinking was this, but it just appears a little unintuitive , or just a little wierd that this device would be seamlessly compatible with its very own competitor's sounds also--- which are many and sound decent - and are fighting for my business too. Ironic as well, as all of those drum competitors try to put each other out of business.

• Members

The Roland TD3 is a better kit IMO...

My initial thinking was this, but it just appears a little unintuitive , or just a little wierd that this device would be seamlessly compatible with its very own competitor's sounds also

With no MIDI output no one would buy them...

Drumagog makes any drum track compatible with samples from any source -- even ones you recorded last year. :)

• Members

Simmons kits are garbage, TOTAL GARBAGE. They fall apart and sound like {censored}.

What stuff broke on you and what happened? Are you traveling on the road with it? Uhm....It sounds like you had a bad time before with it, and I don't mean to scratch at an old wound, ......don't take it that way, just trying to learn or get a "heads up"

• Members

I've never owned one, but i've sold probably about a hundred, and had 2 or 3 come and go as a demo kit. They just gradually fall apart. The pads start turning sideways from weak clamps, triggering gets less and less sensitive (which is saying alot considering the floor kit, fresh out of box, didn't pick up half of my ghost notes), clamps just straight up fall in pieces. I can go on and on. All my experience is with the SD5, and SD7. Not the 9, but knowing Simmons, it'll still be dog{censored}. I warned you pal, please don't buy one. AND, to make matters worse, you're {censored}ed if you want them fixed. It's a Guitar Center proprietary brand, so when you come in with a busted pad or clamp, all they can do about it is say "I'll shoot an email to ______ at the distribution center and call you when a new one gets here". You'll get a new one in about 3 months probably. Stay far the {censored} away amigo.

• Members

I've never owned one, but i've sold probably about a hundred, and had 2 or 3 come and go as a demo kit. They just gradually fall apart. The pads start turning sideways from weak clamps, triggering gets less and less sensitive (which is saying alot considering the floor kit, fresh out of box, didn't pick up half of my ghost notes), clamps just straight up fall in pieces. I can go on and on. All my experience is with the SD5, and SD7. Not the 9, but knowing Simmons, it'll still be dog{censored}. I warned you pal, please don't buy one. AND, to make matters worse, you're {censored}ed if you want them fixed. It's a Guitar Center proprietary brand, so when you come in with a busted pad or clamp, all they can do about it is say "I'll shoot an email to ______ at the distribution center and call you when a new one gets here". You'll get a new one in about 3 months probably. Stay far the {censored} away amigo.

What about the modules? Are they any good?

• Members

No, not really. They sound downright awful, and considering what used Alesis modules go for, there's no point in buying one (besides, you CAN'T get one individually). If you're REALLY on a budget and want a new kit, i'd say try an Alesis DM5 Pro. If this is the actual sound, it's not bad for $500.

• Members

What about the modules? Are they any good?

There's a fair number of preset songs styles to play and practice with--- to keep interest, and some preset song styles are not exactly my cup of tea but OTOH that could be looked at as a training aid -- in a sense -- in that it exposes the rythyms that otherwise one would typically not be exposed to or inclined to attempt and practice,,,,,,maybe there's something to be said for being a versatile player here or being able to handle several different musical genre, .....heck I don't know.....I'm looking at it for a 12 year old son and having interest captivating styles in such a high number may backfire and overwhelm him, or may be a good challenge, and present many learning lessons to achieve. I am not able to shed much insight as to the complexity of the suggested "play along" rythyms. I have to think that your milage may vary depending on your skills. A novice may be thrilled, whereas the players with real chops may use these suggested rythyms merely as core starting point for which to venture into alternatives and create additional rythyms from them and store them. When your in the song mode, Each trigger has blue LED light on the module that blinks when that particular pad is supposed to be struck--so there's some visual suggestion when following along. I think the lights are cool because my musical sight reading is poor....

It appears that there are not as many sound shaping or sound tweaking options as compared to other VST drum Plugs on my computer -- (but those nicer Roland sets are freaking 2500 bucks --WTF is that all about? Does Roland put solid gold coins in there somewhere or what?)--but that is what my DAW is for... I suppose......I should perhaps be quiet and just use the MIDI. Can't have your cake and eat it too for this price.

Hey Cross Eyed, give me some more of your insights please

• Members

are the triggers equally durable (between the dm5 and the sd9?)

since there's less cymbals and toms with the dm5--you just add triggers to suit your needs , like say adding 2 cymbal triggers for example, and save a couple hundred bucks going with the alesis. that's assuming offfcourse that the alesis will let you expand

MIDI implementation comparable? Is the Alesis more road worthy? You sound as though you've sold a few of them,,,,,thanks BTW.

• Members

I've sold about 6 or 7, but they were all special orders, i've never had the priviledge of playing a DM5. But i can definately say the triggers on the Simmons are NOT very good. Like i said before, the snare didn't pick up half the ghost notes i was playing, the kick required much more force to be put into it after about a month on the floor. I wouldn't call the simmons road worthy by a long shot, eventually the clamps will weaken and mid-gig you'll have vertical pads. But as i said, this is only the SD5 and SD7 i'm talking about. I was fired a month before the SD9 came out, but if there's a local GC near you, they'll definately have one set up for you to play.

• Members

Listen to C.E.M. I tried a simmons kit out just to make our sound guy happy, he said hed buy if i try. im easy going so i said no problem......the triggers stink, like C.E.M. said it doesnt pick up ghosts notes or if your trying to play 16th notes they still sound like crap. The modules are junk also, i spent hours just trying to put a decent sounding kit together and had to settle for something less than adequate. we junked that whole project and im back to playin da wood......these kits are not even a 1/4 as good as a roland kit. JMO

• Members

I tried a simmons kit out ............these kits are not even a 1/4 as good as a roland kit. JMO

Which kit ? The SD9K or their older ones ? I can appreciate if one wants to vent about bad things from the past, thats cool, its the right thing to do.., ....aint trying to shrug off your precautions either, but to fair, can you translate the criticism to the new SD9K ? Played it? write back mon

• Members

The kit he bought was a sd7k, same pads and all as the 9 only it looks as the module is differant on the 9. this was only a couple of months ago and i highly doubt they have improved in the short amount of time.......even if the the newer module with the 9 has better sounds the triggers are still the same.........there is no consistancy to them, you can hit the pad within 1/4 inch within the first hit and the volume level can be 10 times as loud or not even be heard...........my sound guy would probably sell it if you intersted, it was a waste of money......

• Members

the triggers are still the same.........there is no consistancy to them, you can hit the pad within 1/4 inch within the first hit and the volume level can be 10 times as loud ..

Was this occurring on just One trigger in the kit or was it on a few of them, or was it widespread throughout the kit? Which trigger? (it would be more agitating if it were the hat , for example, than the floor tom)

How long did it take for these problems to occur? Maybe if its right out of the box its a quality control warranty thing- Beat the {censored} out of em---- heavy use or heavy wear? When did they go bad?

What were the options your sound man had as far as addressing these complaints?

• Members

The kit he bought was a sd7k, same pads and all as the 9 only it looks as the module is differant on the 9. this was only a couple of months ago and i highly doubt they have improved in the short amount of time.......even if the the newer module with the 9 has better sounds the triggers are still the same.........there is no consistancy to them, you can hit the pad within 1/4 inch within the first hit and the volume level can be 10 times as loud or not even be heard...........my sound guy would probably sell it if you intersted, it was a waste of money......

FYI - The pads are different on the sd7k and the sd9k. Simmons got wise to the fact that the plastic "rim" around the pad wasn't probably the best idea and came up with a new set of pads for the sd9k.

• Members

99% of the problems were from the hi-hat and crash. If you play intricate stuff on the hat the way i do with my style then forget these. of all the triggers i had the most problem with the hats.............like i said before this was a sd7k and was around 4 months ago.........

• Members

99% of the problems were from the hi-hat and crash. If you play intricate stuff on the hat the way i do with my style then forget these. of all the triggers i had the most problem with the hats..

Did it "wear out" or did it ship with this trigger problem? (sorry to hear---BTW)

• Members

An excellent young drummer (13 years old) comes to my church, and while he appreciates the top of the line Simmons kit his Mom bought him, he much prefers my babies, and in particular, my DW5000 Accelerator pedal. He wants one bad. He has the white mesh head kit from Roland, and from I've heard its the top of the line kit as it cost $6,000.00. Makes me feel pretty good knowing his youth has not blinded him to playing an acoustic kit, from talking with him he'd rather have acoustic but the band he is playing with want electrics so they can control his volume. Poor young man even has to use those electric cymbals. Just my 2 cents, Chaos BTW, I'm not against electric kits, I'd love to have 2 or 3 pads to compliment my acoustic Selects.

• Members

much prefers .....DW5000

his youth has not blinded him to playing an acoustic kit.

Very interesting---I could be blinded by the science, blinded by the metronome and click track, the mixer and demos, and the memories. Watch out---this stuff can be compelling,.. well... to me anyways. She blinded me with science--and hit me with technology. ....seduced .......again......yah, I know,,,,,shameful isn't it? Why--just why---do they have to strut their stuff? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Jeeze chaos, > and just the same, I am happy for you to have such nice drums, .....

yep, straight out of the box new like that.........if you want to play....boom-chick-boom-chick

.....Cross Eyed Mary : They ship like that. Dude, i'm tellin ya,

I may be inclined to think that this is a manufacturers defect, I don't mean to disrespect your view nor mean to minimize this issue either--statistically, they've got to make mistakes like this sooner or later---you think? Warranty the thing.....I don't know--I'm asking questions. How widespread is the trigger problem, the triggers going "fainter" or dead? Is this BS common?

Archived