sleishman, the only true free floater

richfreak

• Members

:poke:

i live in australia and am lucky enough to own the worlds best drum kit. Sleishman are the only brand to have truly free floating shells throughout. When I talk to friends about it they say. Oh sleishman, their too heavy, too expensive and too hard to tune.

I can honestly say these claims are unwaranted. I got a 5 piece kit for under $4000. They are light as they have changed their hardware from the old stuff which as i understand were solid brass metal tubes. They are basic to tune once you understand how to properly tune a drum. So now I have my dream kit that will never need updating because they are free floating shells which no other brand can match!

I would love to hear what you all think.

Am I crazy?

Or have I selected well?

P.s: I also have their twin pedals which are also incredible.

Ok boys, GO TO TOWN AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!:blah:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i wish i worked for sleishman, then i could scam free stuff. (If anyone from Sleishman is reading this I would make a great employee and would never steal anything)

btw those peavey things have stuff touchin the shells, have a close look, the mounts seem to be bolted to something, what's that? the shell!

Also the pearl free floater is only a snare. And even then it's system still surrounds and touches the shell.

The only thing that touches a sleishman shell is (drum roll please) THE SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT THE HARDWARE AT ALL.

• Members

have a look at that peavey shell. how does it go together? like this:

the skin is placed inside a standard hoop then attached to the SHELL via that big ass rim of wood. Essentially BOLTING THE HOOP TO THE SHELL.

Plus with that much wood around the shell it's surprising that it can resonate at all. It'd be like hitting a log.

Am I wrong?

Sorry if i'm passionate about sleishman, but they are truly the best thing i've heard. I've tried everything. Nothing compares if you're after true tone, resonance, volume and attack! :cop:

• Members

have a look at that peavey shell. how does it go together? like this:

the skin is placed inside a standard hoop then attached to the SHELL via that big ass rim of wood. Essentially BOLTING THE HOOP TO THE SHELL.

Plus with that much wood around the shell it's surprising that it can resonate at all. It'd be like hitting a log.

Am I wrong?

Sorry if i'm passionate about sleishman, but they are truly the best thing i've heard. I've tried everything. Nothing compares if you're after true tone, resonance, volume and attack!
:cop:

It seems like the skin is actually just placed on the shell then the wood rim is placed on top, the two wood rims are connected by a long tension rod (similar to the pearl system) meaning the only thing making contact with the shell is the head.

• Members

It seems like the skin is actually just placed on the shell then the wood rim is placed on top, the two wood rims are connected by a long tension rod (similar to the pearl system) meaning the only thing making contact with the shell is the head.

BINGO!!! and, they have the american vibe! the pearl free floating system was made by fixing all of the negative responses of the peavey drums, a bunch of people didn't like the wood. and, they resonate like a mo-fo.

• Members

maybe if sleishman were american i'd be hearing a different story?

enjoy banging your tubs with lugs:bor:

Doubt it. People don't like new idea's until they have been proven. 'If it aint broke, don't fix it' is the attitude a lot of people will take. Don't be so surprised that people aren't jumping all over this idea. If it really is as great as you say, the company will take off and you'll see more Sleishman around in the years to come (or at least, sleishmen technology taken/adapted by more established companies). If not, they will disappear.

• Members

I'd play the {censored} out of some sleishmans.

question: are the top and bottom heads independently tensionable? seems like with nothing bracing the hoops against the shell you'd have something akin to a single-tension system happening.

• Members

My free floating Pearl snare was too resonant for a snare sound. Too low pitched and tom-like without enough high end and crack. And I don't think the shell sitting on a ring of felt sitting on an aluminum shell did much to transfer energy. She looked really pretty though.

I think that your average thinner shelled kit with low mass lugs and 2.3mm hoops would be plenty resonant. Sure the lug tension can inhibit sustain, but there is a point of diminishing returns. Even I don't want a drum singing out for several seconds, and I'm a sustain freak.

Archived