Used in-ears for the first time and have a question

hockeyguy

• Members

Ive been kinda getting into this lately.  First,...what IEM,s are you using.  Fit and IEM will depend on how low your tooms will come out.  The new ones I am looking at ordering are a triple driver...two lows, one high.  Now.....My system runs of my personal monitor feed, and in that monitor feed is the channels own eq.  Im sure if you ran it off the FOH you would want it post EQ also.  Running the system through a personal monitor feed you can adjust to you liking....FOH feed, no, cant adjust it because it will mess up the FOH mix.

• Members

I don't bother to get any toms in my in-ears. In general, I only take bass and snare (if anything at all). I don't need to hear how the drums sound out front when I'm directly behind them. It also prevents "timing confusion" due to lag in signal processing.

That's just me.

DB

• Members

drumsdb wrote:

I don't bother to get any toms in my in-ears. In general, I only take bass and snare (if anything at all). I don't need to hear how the drums sound out front when I'm directly behind them. It also prevents "timing confusion" due to lag in signal processing.

That's just me.

DB

If you have that much lag in your signal, then something is wrong. In a normal stage PA, your signal should be going about 2.99e+8m/s :robotwink:, unless you have it running through a computer that actually holds and processes sounds before sending them back out, in which case, you need a new computer.

To address OP, you should really check your fit. 99% of the time Ive heard complaints about IEMs its been a case of fit. They arent iPod earbuds, and you cant just pop them in and out casually. You have to find the right tip that fits your ear, both of them. That means you could have different tips for each ear.

Past that, if your monitor signal is based on a mix of the house, then your sound feedback for all drums should only be limited by the driver's ability to reproduce dynamic ranges. Like Race said, a mulit driver IEM is key there. I used singles a lot, and you will never get the full sound of a kit, or band as a whole like you will from multi-driver IEMs.

• Members

That's an excellent question Hockeyguy. I've been using IEMs since 2005 and have never had anything but a dry signal to my ears. If the mix is coming to you from the FOH board then I am pretty sure it is a PFL signal from the Aux on each channel strip and unless there is a gate etc on an insert to any of your channels the most you likely have outboard is a dedicated EQ for that particular monitor mix (especially if the room usually has a traditional drum wedge/sub at the riser and the EQ is still active in the signal chain). But I'm just guessing at your situation and there are a ton of variables. My mix, in order of importance, is kick, snare, hats, lead vocal, bass, gtr, background vocals, toms and overheads. I'm running UE7's and moved to those 2 years ago from single driver Shure E3's.

Archived