Has anyone here had their drums repaired?

Gremson

• Members

I'm having issues with my 70's Tama Superstar and I'm kinda terrified to have somebody start chipping away at the wood to repair it.

For those interested, the problem started back in November. I put on an Aquarian head for recording, There was a ripple, and part of the collar started to poke up from under the hoop. I remembered reading that Aqurian heads had a slimmer collar, so I chalked it up the that, and didn't worry about it. After recording, I packed up my drums and they all sat in their cases for a few  months until the band got back to practicing. About a month ago, I finally put a new head on, and it was wrinkled too. Now every head I put on has a wrinkle in it. I wonder if leaving the Aquarian head on it for so long pushed the drum out of round.

So, yeah. I dunno. I'm just kinda bummed out. I've yet to do the table trick, or take a tape measure to it, but I already know there's a problem. Share some {censored}ed up drum stories with me and how they were saved.

• Members

Just a thought, you may want to check the rim because it could possibly be bent.   I hope so for your sake, because that would be the easiest fix.  If it's out of round, I've never heard of a way of fixing that situation.  Let us know what you figure out. 

• Members

SYMBOLIC wrote:

Just a thought, you may want to check the rim because it could possibly be bent.   I hope so for your sake, because that would be the easiest fix. 
If it's out of round, I've never heard of a way of fixing that situation. 
Let us know what you figure out. 

i never checked a proper way to fix an out of round drum, but here was my situation:

i had a 20" bd that was out by an inch.  after stripping the hardware, i bought two lengths of threaded 1/4" rods.  then, i pushed them through the lug holes on either side (i did them at the same lug points on the front of the drum, too.)  next were the washers and nuts.  i was careful to measure after every adjustment, until the drum measured the same between each opposite lug.  admittedly, i let it sit for about six months, but i bet it wouldn't take that long, i just kind of forgot about it.  but, it's been in round ever since, and i check whenever i change heads.  

Archived