Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drumhead question for the chemistry lovers.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drumhead question for the chemistry lovers.

2 of my current 4 groups have been hounding me for custom kick drum heads. Nothing too fancy, but not realizing that even the simple designs can cost $70-80 to make per head, and even DIY heads will cost me about 60-80 for the pair plus all the work/time.

Then it came to me: What about using smooth white heads, and applying Electric/vinyl tape and/or dry erase markers to create silly/show specific art for the kick heads.

Question is, will the dry erase wipe clean either dry, or with windex or acetone, or will it bleed into the film; and the chemicals eat through the head prematurely? Anyone else try something similar or have other easy DIY custom head methods?

I have an experiment on a cheap ass head that came on my Pulse Piccolo snare. It was coated, but where the coating has rubbed off and there is a smooth white surface, I marked in red (one of the easiest staining colors). Each day I go back I plan to wipe off another letter, and see after several days what is left and what will or wont come off with acetone or something.

-Merlin Coryell-
    www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
    City - Metal from Portland, OR
    www.facebook.com/ndcity
    Mapex Drums; Zildjian & Sabian cymbals
    Axis &; Gibraltar Hardware, Evans & Remo Heads
    Alesis DM10; ProMark sticks
    ESP Guitars, Line6 Stuffs &; Junk

In Requiem - Marko46

I think you're on the right path by experimenting. But 2 things come to mind
    1. is the head you're using with the worn off coating the same as what a clear head would be? Since it had a coating on it is there a residue left behind that would affect the dry erase ink?

and
    2. I wouldn't use the acetone on the mylar head since it would probably damage the head. I'd use either windex or just white vinegar - cheaper than windex and works great.
    Missin' Marko46 http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...lies/frown.png

"I've never been given more to bear than I can endure."
    Marty Mann

"In a world where carpenters get resurrected, everything is possible."
    Elanor in Lion in Winter

"Good time is more relative than family."
    1001gear

Comment

• danrothmusic
      danrothmusic commented
      Editing a comment
      Acetone will certainly affect the head, though probably not visually too much. Really though, something alcohol-based should do it; dry-erase ink is actually a bunch of little plastic pellets in an alcohol solution.

Good idea trying to experiment first. I don't think the fact that your cheap head was formerly coated will have that much of an impact.

I hope it works out for you, that's a great idea.

Working...
X