Worst drum products of the past 10 years...

SyntheticTubs

• Members

This is kind of a mini vent here. :mad: It's like the anti-NAMM. NAMM introduces new stuff, and this is to say how bad some of them turned out to be.

There are some products that come to mind that I can't stand.

1. Evans Ec-snare. Why? They just kill the snare in every way. Aweful concept for a snare. These are not even good for heavy hitters unless the idea is to eliminate that pesky crisp snare sound and response. "Hey...but I love hammering the snot out of something that won't produce sound the right way." Ec snare are only slightly more responsive than silencer pads.

2. Zildjian ZBT cymbals. Why? >Clank.

3. Zildjian ZXT cymbals. Why? earsplittingly bright for me.

4. The gibraltar catapault pedal. AKA: The {censored} foot. WHY? IMO, this is a piss-poor design of galactic proportions. No power, no speed. Total failure.

5. The PDP BOA pedal. Why? You mean I can pay the SAME amount for an adjustable pedal???

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Both resurrections of Rogers

Ayotte stopping in store sales

Ayotte stopping online sales

Ayottes current in store sales. I think my closest dealer is 500 miles away.

Signature snare drums

Signature drum kits

And the Snakes and Arrows snare looks hokey.

Edit........ I forgot one

Glory Holes

• Members

Both resurrections of Rogers

Yeah...I forgot about those. If they said "pulse" or "sunlite" they would not be so offensive. Compared to real Rogers, those are blasphemy.

"Trailblazer" "prospector" Those are not Rogers. Those are the soulless, reanimated corpse of a long dead name.

Dave Donoho is retching into a toilet somewhere...

IMO, everything "snakes and arrows" sucks. I *hate* that kit look...it's like a pottery barn reject.

• Members

Ha! Great thread....

Hot Stix - Yes, I'd like flaming pink drum sticks please. It's great how they leave hot pink residue over my drums and cymbals. Proof that Mike Portnoy made bad decisions.

Fruit shakers - Either eat a piece of fruit or use a shaker. Don't try to do both at once. Unless you're Charo.

Piccolo snares - IN THE RIGHT CONTEXT, they can be cool, but Korn taught every rock drummer that having a snare drum that sounded like a piece of wood was cool. And it isn't. Especially in a heavy rock band.

Plastic brushes - Same price, except they break and don't work as well. Huh.

• Moderators

Drum Machine

Wha??? :confused:

Even if you don't like them in a finished song (I think they can sometimes be great) they're an undeniably useful tool for composing songs when you don't have a suitable space (and/or the ability) to use real drums.

• Members

And the Snakes and Arrows snare looks hokey.

If you are talking about the new Neil Peart kit (I don't know what other Snakes and Arrows kit there is), you have got to be joking.

It is defintely not as awesome, massive, or cool looking as Neil Peart as his previous sets. But I would take that kit in a second.

AND IT SHOULD NEVER BE IN THE SAME FORUM AS HIT STICKS. :lol:

• Members

If you are talking about the new Neil Peart kit (I don't know what other Snakes and Arrows kit there is), you have got to be joking.

It is defintely not as awesome, massive, or cool looking as Neil Peart as his previous sets. But I would take that kit in a second.

AND IT SHOULD NEVER BE IN THE SAME FORUM AS HIT STICKS.
:lol:

i agree. it isnt his best drum kit but its definitely not one of the worst products of the past 10 years.

• Members

I got a kick out of this:

DrumLeash4-use-plain.jpg

It's called the drum leash.

hey, i actully have something like this!!! i made it myself, i use at one venue because they are {censored}ers and its a good gig. they wont let me bring a rug or let me use the pointy spurs on my kick, i've almost knocked my kick of the riser more than once!!!

• Members

Drum Machine

They are on so many recordings it makes me sick...anal and stiff...not to say or talk about how many drummers have lost work because of them...they always say "I use them because I don't have room to record a full set of drums" then they are not really a recording studio... are they?:freak: I agree the very worst of the lot IMHO

• Members

They are on so many recordings it makes me sick...anal and stiff...not to say or talk about how many drummers have lost work because of them...they always say "I use them because I don't have room to record a full set of drums" then they are not really a recording studio... are they?
:freak:
I agree the very worst of the lot IMHO

Anal and stiff!!! :o

I remember the 80's technopop and Hall and Oats. Drum machines like the LINNdrum were ubiquitous. The phony, spitty and robotic beats these things churned out simply lowered what could have been better songs if they had used real percussion.

The all-hotchick group "Bond" used sequencers and drum machines that totally ruins an otherwise brilliant idea with digital-hash sounding "percussion."

"oomp-chack...oomph-chack...isssk-isssk..." :arg:

• Members

I have to add another bad set of products: Many
Attack
drumheads sound just horrible. They seem to be badly made and the "good" models seem few and far between.

i've used a lot of different models of them over the last 16 years (actually longer if you go back to their "Deadhead" days) and never had a problem with them. if they weren't better than remo i wouldn't be using them.

Archived