Kick drum pad.

lsits

• Members

Tried doing a search, but couldn't come up with anything definite.

I recently purchased an Aquarian Superkick II bass drum head. I decided to get a kick pad along with it. (It was $5 so I figured "What the hey.)

First a little background: I have a 20 x 14 Gretsch kick drum and I use a Ludwig Speed King pedal with a round felt beater. The band I'm in plays classic rock (Beatles, Stones, Cream, Free, Bob Seger, etc).

What difference will I notice with and without the kick pad? Will the kickpad be overkill with the 2-ply drumhead? Will I be happy with the sound, or should I use the pad on my Powerstroke 3 batter head?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Well here's my take on it, for what it's worth...

With a felt beater, no head should really need a patch. The patch is going to put more "slap" in the attack and kill some sustain. SKII is already plenty muffled without a patch. It also matters which patch you use. I use the Evans clear patch only as a reinforcement on a PS3 when using a hard plastic beater. The Evans clear patch is the thinnest and adds the least choke...like another ply of head. Other thicker patches have a greater effect on attack/sustain. Some are even designed to produce an attack that is pretty much a "click."

• Members

I used to use a Danmar Rock Pad and it did not deaden the sound at all. In fact, it added a real high end "tick" because the pad had a piece of plastic embedded in it. What it did was increase the beater attack area to the size of almost a fifty cent piece. It did eliminate mids, but it let more whomp come through...Don't even know if they make them any more...

• Members

I have only used two different pads (both single pedal patches). I have used the thin evans and the much heavier aquarian patch. The very thin patch made no real audible difference that anyone would probably ever notice. The heavier patch did seem to soak up some of the attack. Not severly but there was a difference. I am currently using an Evans EQ3 batter head with a thin evans patch. I always feel the need to beat on the head for a bit without the patch before I stick it on (OCD I guess). There was again very little difference after I put the patch on.

Off topic and just for the record: I don't relly like the EQ3. I feel like the bass lost too much of its sustain and overtones. Even with the ring taken out it just seems lifeless IMO.

I just got some double pedals and I ordered an EQ4 to experiment with. I already have an aquarian double kick pad that I am going to try putting on - once I get the new head. I sort of doubt I will like it because it is so thick and covers a large area. Nonetheless; I will try it and If I dont like it I will take it off and try putting on two single evans dots.

As a comparison reference for you: the evans single I got was about as thick as two plies of scotch tape; and the Aquarian was as thick as about 7-8 plies of the same. Whether or not you are a heavy hitter could be a major factor in what you will like.

• Members

I play an aquarian super kick II as well and I use a kick pad to save my kick head. Don't really notice too much of a difference. I use the evans (not the felt kind but the white one). I would be able o tell you specifically but I'm not by my drums.

• Members

Nonetheless; I will try it and If I dont like it I will take it off and try putting on two single evans dots.

How hard is it to remove the pads? I don't want to risk damaging the head if I decide to do this.

• Members

Here's my take.

You have a nice Gretsch bass drum. Put your Powerstroke 3 on it with your pad.

Leave your Superkick II for a cheap bass drum that has metal hoop. The head will make it sound like your Gretsch.

As a general rule, I always put a pad on my bass drum head mainly to help protect the beater from splitting your bass drum head and not so much for the sound. If you put your beater through your bass drum head, you're pretty much done for the evening. If this happens here's a little helpful hint from another drummer friend of mine. Cut out a circle from an old snare drum head and put it in your snare drum case, then you can DUCT tape it on to get you through the rest of the evening. Wipe off any excess glue with a bar napkin.:thu:

• Members

I just ordered a Danmar Metal Kick Pad (2) along with the EMAD. Curious to see how they do.

As far as removing one, I never tried, but the Aquarians I've used up to this point are "on there" and I'd personally be really cautious of trying to take one of. I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe there's a way. But I could see damaging the head by doing it possibly. JMO

• Members

How hard is it to remove the pads? I don't want to risk damaging the head if I decide to do this.

To be honest I have never tried either. I would really have to hate it before I would go to the trouble to take it off. I think my first post sounded a little more eager to try and take it off than what I was really wanting to come across. They really do stick on there pretty good. I doubt that I could do it with a thin dot but the aquarian is so thick that I thought there may be a chance.

If I do attempt the feat I thought that hot water and dish soap soaks along with a lot of patience would be the safest gamble and my first attempt.

If the first attempt fails I have probably ruined the patch and there is no turning back at this point.

For my second attempt I have some 3M brand adhesive remover that I have used on other somewhat delicate surfaces with good results. I could squirt a little on the original head that came with the drum and see if it has and kind of negative effects. If not: I could get brave and try it; but lets hope it doesn't come to all of this.

Worst case happens: It's just a drumhead.:cry: There goes 35.00 down the drain. I will still have a couple of spares that I can put back on until I decide to get another replacement. Years past I have wasted more time and money than this on old girlfriends and alcohol (good ol' days my aunt fanny) and been far worse off for it. My druming indescretions are far less costly in comparison. (No offense ladies)

• Members

I've got a way for you to try...I use those sticky double sided foam tapes that you hang mirrors with on my bike, and I don't want to hurt the finish. Let me tell ya, I found a secret to getting them off...WD40. I removes all of the sticky goop without hurting the paint. I would think a pad on aplastic drum head would be a piece of cake... I read someplace about how it works even better than goo gone...and it does...

Check it out...

• Members

I have SKII and the aquarian patches for now. The only reason I use the patches, is because the wood beaters I use tend to brutalize the drumhead and eat through it fairly quickly.

I tried a slug patch, but those are too thick and plasticky for me.

Falam slam are nice as mentioned, because they don't detract from anything.

• Members

haha!! WHATEVER you do!! do NOT get the danmar metal click! haha i know thats not what ur asking for, but im just warning you! you might as well just take two 50 cent peices and put some duct-tape over them and ull have a better sound! haha. i personally have used the aquarian pads numerous times and have ALWAYS been pleased with their durability and sound! punchier! ive never been too worried about reasonance as ive usually tried to muffle my kick a little, but i wouldnt imagine it would pose a problem to you. if you use any muffling like a pillow, i would just make sure it touches the resonant side a little less if any at all...

• Members

I've got a way for you to try...I use those sticky double sided foam tapes that you hang mirrors with on my bike, and I don't want to hurt the finish. Let me tell ya, I found a secret to getting them off...WD40. I removes all of the sticky goop without hurting the paint. I would think a pad on aplastic drum head would be a piece of cake... I read someplace about how it works even better than goo gone...and it does...

Check it out...

Ah yes! WD-40 - The duct tape of the lube world. That could be a good thing to try. I may squirt that on my EQ3 head just out of curiosity to see if it can loosten the Evans patch. I'll probably chuck the EQ3 head in the garbage anyway so I have nothing to loose.

• Members

Well, I've decided.....sort of. I'll try out the SKII without the pad. If I like the sound, I'll try the pad on the PS3. If the drum still rings too much, I'll try the pad on the SKII. My intention of getting the SKII along with the Regulator head was to remove the muffling from the inside of the bass drum. With the Powerstroke batter and the Regulator, It's still a little too boomy for the type of music I play.

• 5 years later...
  • Members

tmetaler wrote:

haha!! WHATEVER you do!! do NOT get the danmar metal click! haha i know thats not what ur asking for, but im just warning you! you might as well just take two 50 cent peices and put some duct-tape over them and ull have a better sound! haha. i personally have used the aquarian pads numerous times and have ALWAYS been pleased with their durability and sound! punchier! ive never been too worried about reasonance as ive usually tried to muffle my kick a little, but i wouldnt imagine it would pose a problem to you. if you use any muffling like a pillow, i would just make sure it touches the resonant side a little less if any at all...

^Yep. Danmar Click is pointless IMO these days, as anyone really looking for that kind of sound likely uses triggered sounds already that can be dialed in to sound like that. Alone, and in anything that isnt pretty extreme thrash or death metal, I think the Click Pad sounded aweful and I replaced it with Falams pretty quick.

Archived