18" floor tom

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm with you. I want either an 18" or 14" to add to my kit... jsut got to find a red acrylic one and have the cash around.

if you tune an 18 up, it has a really nice bop to it, but you can also get a reaallllly good blast out of it

• Members

My pearl fiberglass kit came with a 16 and an 18 Ft. Ive been using the 16 for the most time, but i just switched to the 18 and i really dig it. Just sounds bigger. I tuned it up to the same note i had my 16 at and it just has a lot more resonance.

I think Im a fan.

• Members

good-easy to tune,I love doing triplet roll fills using it, they make a good coffee table

bad-hard for me to reach I been thinking about moving it over to my right side (since I'm a lefty)

ugly- new heads aint cheap, 18"s are bulky and take up alot of space

• Members

I found my 18FT troublesome to tune.

response can be sluggish. G'head and tune it way up, but why are you carrying this huge hi-tuned thing around again?

and like skinthrasher said, heads are $$$ (and not as easy to find as other sizes) and it's a bigass drum to have to haul around. bleah.

I don't miss the one I had and I won't be adding one to my lineup anytime soon.

• Members

They do take up a LOT of real estate, both in the transport and on stage. As always, another drum, another mic and cable to run. And another case/bag to buy.

On the plus side, HUGE sound and great fake double bass if you run a single pedal or, if running a double pedal, a heckava triplet bass sound. Plus they just LOOK really impressive ;>)

All that said I rarely take mine out anymore, for the negatives above. BUT I also stopped using my larger rack and 8x8 rack tom, too. Just using a 5 pc lately for easier setup. I also rig all the drum mics and setup the power and PA so I'm busy enough at setup & teardown ;>(

boomerweps

• Members

Tune them up, and they are thunder...

I used to tune pretty low - but then one day I got a wile hair up my ass, and gave all the lugs a 1/2 turn up.

While I hated it behind the kit, they project like no tomorrow, and the guys in the band said it sounded like my kit woke up, and like it.

That said, if I start mic'ing again, they'll get dropped back down to lowest clear note... :)

• Members

Have had one on my last couple kits, probably won't on the next one. At low tunings they sound dead and flappy, but tuning them up a get you run into trouble with the "boing". They need a thick head and a bit higher tuning to avoid sounding too much like a kick drum. The reso head is key in the sound, although to be honest mine hasn't been setup for almost a year so I can't remember how I made it decent sounding.

• Members

I think it all depends on how you tune your drums really. If you tune every drum to sound good at its lowest possible pitch without a wrinkled head and start at the high tom then of course an 18" is going to sound like sloppy mess. However if you start at the 18 and work your way up you'll probably have a much more usuable tone. Unless your 18 is just a habitual garbage can with a remo stretched over it. In that case leave you're out of luck.

• Members

Had I known tuning properly involved pinstripes and weatherstripping I guess I might have done better.

It seems to involve dust, too.

On the plus side, we got to see those fabulous pics again, it must have been two weeks since last time.

Archived