electronic drum sets and recording

ccarnucci

• Members

I suppose it COMPLETELY depends on what type of end product you're looking for. If you're just slapping out demos and scratch tracks, hey, go nuts.

But any electronic drum set that costs $300 is going to SOUND like it only cost $300, know what I'm saying?

Share a bit more about what you're looking to record, the sound you're going for, etc. You can record anything, so saying "will they work?" is a bit of a glib question... help us help you!

• Members

Actually, if you have midi capabilities, the cheap ass ekits are as good as the billion dollar ones, cause all you will be using it for is triggering the midi. Then use GOOD drum replacement software and you are in business!

I use a DM10 and have recorded straight from its module, but now that we are working on a more serious and polished EP, I will be re-recording it all through midi and using a variety of drum sound libraries to get just the sound we want. For modern progressive metal everything needs to be just so, or it falls apart. If we had the money and space to record live drums we would, but this makes it a lot easier when we are doing all production in-house.

• Members

I just record YouTube videos. Definately not high quality, but I'm learning. I have Reason and Cubase se. I hate the drum machines they come with. I was hoping to learn some basic drum techniques for the songs I write and didn't want to spend too much. Are the 600 dollar yamahas any better. I don't know much about midi but ill start researching.

• Members

for $300 , which kit do you have in mind?    I would recommend to go with any Yamaha entry level kits around $600 range.  Most cheaper kits have issues with mistriggering.  I did try a simmons kit in the $300 range and would not recommend those, but that was years ago.   Maybe those cheap kits have improved by now, not sure though.

Good luck.  Ekits are definitely fun.

Archived