Mapex Orion?How good is it?Pro level?

Iliketapping

• Members

Im just wondering if this is any good? Can you get better drums?

Thanks

The Orions are really nice! As for your next question, it will spark pages of debate a discussion over whats better.

My opinion is this: I choose to play Mapex for several reasons. I wanted certain features on my kit, Mapex had them all. The fact that the kick has the "no drill" tom mount that is easily removed for a virgin look is cool. I have converted mine to virgin, but it is nice to know that I can throw the mount back on in 10 minutes. The tom mounts are first class and solid as a rock, very similar to DW. I wanted a sparkle lacquer not a wrap, Saturns are lacquer. Orions have beautiful finishes as well. When I bought my Saturns I 3thought I wanted hanging toms (14 and 16). Once I had them I decided that individual floor toms would be better for what I wanted. No problem, Mapex ahas a kit for adding the legs to your toms. No drilling, the mounts are the same as if you ordered floor toms.

As for the tone of the kits well, whats better? The Orions are N. American maple. I am proud of my Saturns, they sound amazing and they record so nice! And the best part is....a 6 piece kit, 1600.00 shells only. The Orions are alot more I believe. I do not know if I would go Orion over the Saturns. Plus the Saturns are mixed wood kits, Maple with walnut. Now having said all of this I would also love to have a DW, Starclassic B/B, classic maple Ludwigs, Yamaha oaks or maples. At a certain level who can tell. :thu:

• Members

Thanks

If they blow your skirt up, buy em and learn to make them sound good.

worrying if there's a better kit out there somewhere is a total waste of energy. of course there is. who cares?

• Members

Thanks

Info on thease drums? are the they same as the mapex orion today?

From what I've been told the model from the mid 90s.

Any info?

Given that you have to spec each shell out and buy them individually, I'd say it's more of a custom-pro kit, than a pro kit.

Saturns are their pro-level...

• Members

Orions are excellent drums. I've played a set as well as a set of Saturns. Both looked and sounded beautiful.

I long ago stopped buying anything but Yamaha Drums, but I think Mapex puts out some good stuff. I would say that they are comparable to anything you would find in that price range by Pearl, for example, and Pearl makes good stuff, too.

• Members

Hopefully you mean that in the "best is a personal decision" and not in terms of them being sub-par...

All I mean is there are several drum companies making drums out of logs, instead of plies... You can always get better drums. i.e. Brady

• Members

I'd define "pro level" as having high quality wood and hardware, excellent fit and finish, and produced with consistent quality and sound. Saturns and Orions should fit that bill, although they have different ply configurations.

In theory, the Meridian Maple drums should have similar ply layups as the Orion, and I've heard they do use the same wood (without the exotic outer ply), but the hardware is a step down.

That said, if I had $3k to drop on a drum set, I would not be looking at Orions. Probably Gretsch or Tama, but that's my taste. I even think Ludwig would be a better take for a vintage sound, with better resale. It just seems like you pay a lot of money for the flashy finish.

• Members

Hopefully you mean that in the "best is a personal decision" and not in terms of them being sub-par...

You must own stock in mapex or something. Relax. Just because someone says mapex isn't the "best" doesn't mean they are sub-par. Just because I don't think BMW makes the best cars in the world, doens't mean they aren't great cars.

• Members

Well there are two things,

1. There's always a "better". At some point you hit diminishing returns. Is the poster planning on spending $8-10k just on the shells? Probably not. In the $3k range, which is where the Orions are, you have most pro level kits.

2. "Better" is a subjective term due to preferences. For some people, maybe the looks are bigger than the sound.

• Members

god damn warm round bandwagon.

I'd go unix or vaughncraft. yummmmmy.

Right...not bashing maple...

But get VC or Unix to make some shells outta wenge, cocobolo, rosewood, cherry, etc...

...and you've really got something...

• Members

In the $3k range

Honestly, in he 3K Range, if I didn't have a Saturn, I'd probably go that way and save some of that dough for cymbals.

Reasons being that it fits what I like in a number of respects.

If not them, I'd probably go DW, Tama, Yamaha, or Pearl.

Never put much thought into spending 3K on a kit...

Archived