Anyone for some Drum 'n Bass?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Listened for a couple minutes. Very skilled drumming as usual. My point about Jojo, personified in that little bit. There's nothing there but drumming. It doesn't have to blend, coordinate, track, color, enhance, yada yada anything in particular. As detailed and precise as it is, it's just free form musicality, interesting in and of itself maybe but not very satisfying beyond the spectacle.

• Members

1001gear wrote:

Listened for a couple minutes. Very skilled drumming as usual. My point about Jojo, personified in that little bit. There's nothing there but drumming. It doesn't have to blend, coordinate, track, color, enhance, yada yada anything in particular. As detailed and precise as it is, it's just free form musicality, interesting in and of itself maybe but not very satisfying beyond the spectacle.

Maybe you should listen to the whole thing....(or just start at 6 minutes)....you might find it's not what you thought it was...or don't...whatever...

• Members

I have to admit to being a big fan of Jojo's playing. I first encountered him at the 1995 Buddy Rich Memorial concert in NYC. I had been to a couple of the previous memorial concerts, but this year the format was changed up. Starting off the show was a band from the west coast. From what I remember they were a very loud and ultimately forgettable, and didn't hold out a lot of hope for us when we saw that the next band up was called The Screaming Headless Torsos. Then The Torsos took the stage and from the opening number just had everyone amazed with their sound, their mix of styles, and their creativity. There in the back, anchoring this group, was this drummer no one seemed to know anything about. I looked down the row I was sitting in and the closest thing I can compare the faces of my fellow concert goers to, was when I took my son's 4th grade class to the circus for the first time. Their eyes were wide with amazement as Jojo pulled off an amazing amount of drumming pyrotechnics, he can be quite the showman, all while driving the band along it's set. After their set everyone was buzzing about who this new guy was. The headliner for the evening was Dave Weckl, and I have to say, I've seen Dave many times over the years, but his playing that night was some of the best I've ever heard from him. Perhaps an inspiration from an up and comer.

I've kept tabs on Jojo over the years and have always appreciated what musical direction he has taken. Like some have said, some of it can leave you a little cold and wanting. I still go back to the first Torso's album when I want to hear the Jojo I remember.

Archived