Anyone else "hate" playing Live ?

IL Duce

• Members

This is really just an extension of the post about what you hate about being in a band. I realised my answer should actually spin off into it's own post. That's prolly my biggest gripe about being in a band. Don't get me wrong I play live I just hate it. That being said I'm probably one of the best crowd working musicians going. During every break I work the crowd I personally thank each person or persons who I know have come to the club to see my band. I'm very outgoing ( an extrovert really) I'm very affable always a smile and a thank you when I meet people during the breaks. I'm great at making small talk in between songs. I smile when I play I just cant {censored}ing stand it. Intrestingly the last time I played live a coworker who'd never seen me play but knew of my abject hatred of live performing said to me after the show. " your so full of {censored} about hating pplaying live" he went on to compliment my stage presence and he remarked how well and connected I made anyone I met during the breaks feel. I told him he was wrong if I never played another live performance again that would be just fine with me. But I added I'm a proffessional people don't wanna come see someone with a pissy I hate being here attitutde. I told him it's all part of the show just an act. So anyone else not enjoy performing ? My guess is I'm alone in this but the question was asked about what I hate about being in a band there's a bunch of things but thats my tops.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't get it. If I had the choice between playing 1 show a month for a year or recording an album at a nice studio but never playing another live show... i'd choose the 12 shows.

Maybe you should drop the "rockstar stage presence" facade and just play drums as though you're in your comfort zone (the garage, the studio...whatever). Sounds to me like you've burnt yourself out trying to be more of a manager than a drummer.

• Members

I feel the total opposite. There is nothing like it. I can't wait to do it again. Right now, that's my goal. I don't care if its playing for a block party in front if 5 people or some dive bar. As long as its playing in front of people. Its been almost 17 years since the last time I did and it was behind a different instrument. I still remember it like it was yesterday and crave that feeling like its an addiction.

• Members

What's the point of being a musician if you dont get too play live. I JUST ened a band due too all they wanted to do was record> dont get me wrong>>>I love going and doing studio work...but there is nothing better ( except sex) then playing live... just dont get it.

• Members

You might want to to venture to the guitar forum for this one. Way more knowledge over there. no offense or anything, its just that u dudes sit behind all of your instruments and guitarists/singers have to be entertaining.

• Members

I don't get it. If I had the choice between playing 1 show a month for a year or recording an album at a nice studio but never playing another live show... i'd choose the 12 shows.

Maybe you should drop the "rockstar stage presence" facade and just play drums as though you're in your comfort zone (the garage, the studio...whatever). Sounds to me like you've burnt yourself out trying to be more of a manager than a drummer.

I'm with this guy - sounds like the business/professional musician side has taken it's toll. Try to enlist your bandmates to take up some of the responsibilities (on and off stage) and get back to enjoying what your backbeat does for the crowd - without you and your four-stringer, they're just sittin' there.

For me, there's not much better than clickin' with your bros, seeing that energy extend to the crowd and sucking it back in to work even harder. The spike of energy after that bad-ass ending of that killer song when you're drippin' with sweat and the crowd is goin' nuts is about as good as it gets for me... Take that away and ya may as well play horseshoes...

• Members

LOL @ Thread.

Seriously...if you're not into playing "live" then why the hell should you bother even playing.

If you're second-guessing yourself, do your band a favor and let them know they need to replace you, and work towards making a smooth transition to a new drummer who IS into playing "live".

Playing out is the reason I play. Sitting the bedroom gets OLD, FAST. Being bottled up in a room with other musicians thinking of how "great" things sound is dillusional.

• Members

Not me. I LOVE playing live. It's all about the applause and appreciation of a job well done. I like playing for myself too, especially when I finally master something that I've been working on. But I *need* applause.

I'm also great at schmoozing with the audience, flirting with the girls, etc. Whatever it takes to get them to keep coming to the shows, as long as it's sincere.

• Members

Just to clarify things for some of you. It just dosen't do it for me. I could care less about applause. I don't care weather people like my playing or my music. ( I write alot of originals). I have no "ego" to satisfy. I play because I enjoy it. I write songs and record them because I enjoy it. Jenks, I was very dissapointed in your responce. You make alot of good points But your way off by saying "if you don't play live why bother playing ?" Is that the litmus test of weather someone should play or not ? To each his own. You also mentioned something about hanging with other musicians in my basement and being dilusional. Where the {censored} did you get that from ? I got news for ya when I do a show I'm all entertainment more musicians should be like me when they play out, But for me when all is said and done I think playing live considering the money is a loosing propasition. I hate it.

• Members

I've heard that either Donald Fagan, or Walter Becker (Steely Dan) can't remember which one... is completely and utterly horrified doing a live performance.

But I agree to a degree. Why be in a band if you do not like to play live?

• Members

I'm happy whether I'm on stage in front of thousands, in a small bar, in my garage with my band, or sitting in the basement with an acoustic guitar. I do what I do and have fun doing it.

I understand that you don't enjoy playing live, but you've never mentioned why you hate it? What don't you like about it?

Archived