Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kindbeats
    started a topic The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

Hey everyone. I've been asking a daily question for drummers on various sites for the last few months and figured I might as well start the thread here as well. Basically, every Monday - Friday, I ask a question and everyone posts their answers. For older questions and their answers, please check out the forums at www.kindbeatsdrums.com and please feel free to join and answer there as well!

Today's Question: How often do you practice?

Not as often as I should, that's for sure!

• the DW
    commented on 's reply

I apologize if this has been asked before, but at almost 200 pages, I wasn't about to go looking through to find out. lol.

Question du jour: How many different sizes of drumsticks have you used in the span of your career?

By this I mean sticks that you've bought more than once.

For me, in no particular order:

3A, 7A, 5A, 5B, Regal Tip Jazz, Regal Tip Rock, VF Steve Gadd signature, VF SD4N, VF HD4N..... and currently using VF HD4 and 5A.

• melvinspeed
    replied

On tour or studio?

Tour. During the 90's, I thought playing drums for Living Colour would be my dream gig. Unfortunately, they'd have to give up the moniker of "black rock band". 

I always thought I play better with people than with tracks, so I suppose in my dream world, I'd be on tour.

If you could, would you play drums all over again (or something like that)?

Absolutely. I'm not sure I'd play an instrument at all if it wasn't drums.

Leave a comment:

• FitchFY
    commented on 's reply

fusionfunk wrote:

Today's question: Do you prefer doing studio work, or playing live, and why?

Like you said, there's a different reason to love them both, but I enjoy the studio more than a live set. I think it has to do with the preparation of truly understanding and building the music, and then knowing that whatever you've done is permanent and can always be heard. If you make a mistake live, most people have forgotten by the next measure, but once the tape is rolling, that stuff is permanent.

So, ya know... no pressure. .png" alt=":smileywink:" title="Smiley Wink" />

• fusionfunk
    replied

Today's question: Do you prefer doing studio work, or playing live, and why?

I love to do both, and there are aspects of each I absolutely enjoy. I love the challenge and creativity of studio work, but I also love the adrenalin rush, audience response and spontaneity and improvisation of live performance.

Leave a comment:

• kindbeats
    commented on 's reply

Today's Question: Can you name some drummers that play on a minimalist set up?

Jason Finn (Presidents of The United States of America)

Ringo Starr (Beatles)

Dave Grohl (during his Nirvana days)

Billy Martin (Medeski Martin & Wood)

• rishabhsachan
    replied

which brand drumer is best 

Leave a comment:

• kindbeats
    commented on 's reply

Today's Question:  Do you ever shop for drum equipment online and if so, what sites?

I try to support local mom and pop stores as much as possible but sometimes, you can find some hard to locate items (or just good prices) online. Do any of you use any particular online music shops? I have used http://www.mycymbal.com andhttp://www.drummersworld.com (for rare and exotic percussion).

• fusionfunk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dendy Jarrett
    replied

I try not to eat right before a gig- if I do, it is usually some plain protein or something like an energy bar.

If I am singing back up, I may have a shot of 'Jager' just to open the pipes, but typically, no drinking on the gig for me.

D

Leave a comment:

• Drumstix101
    commented on 's reply

the DW wrote:
    I have a mix of Zild, Sabian and a Paiste. Picked them for how they sound, not brand loyalty. Works for me!

I have Zildjian A's and A Customs; nine pies in all. It's not that I'm a single company guy, it just worked out that way. I picked them all for their sound, and how well they played together. If I find something that I like I'll add it to the collection, regardless of who made it.

• the DW
    replied
    I have a mix of Zild, Sabian and a Paiste. Picked them for how they sound, not brand loyalty. Works for me!

Leave a comment:

• zildjian@consol
    commented on 's reply

bump

• fusionfunk
    replied

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
    View Post

Today's Question: What is the best sounding room that you have played in?

Live gig= The Bottom Line, Greenwich Village, NYC

Studio gig= Electric Lady, Studio A, Greenwich Village, NYC

Leave a comment:

• kindbeats
    replied
    Today's Question: Can you think of any grooves that help to build independence? List one at a time!

I'll start by choosing "Latin Shuffle" by Medeski Martin & Wood. The drummer is Billy Martin.

Edit: I guess if you break it down, the drum part in "Latin Shuffle" is a variation of a mambo along with bembe and mozambique voicin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X