Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i never use a click live. in recording, it's obviously quite necessary and i don't mind it one bit. i feel like i keep pretty solid time on my own and have actually been complimented by other drummers about it several times.

which i think i appreciate more than any other compliment i could get.
    Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
    Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

recording yes, live no.

Comment

NEVER live, 50/50 when practicing, and I feel that I really should do 75/25 (that is, mostly click)
        "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Not usually. But, I would like to be more "schooled" on the use of one. I can do that myself, I just don't take the time to set everything up. I've used one in recordings in the studio, but honestly I'm not comfortable with one.
          "Charter Member of the G.G."
          "
          "Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron"

Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, but Faith looks up!!

Great Sellers / Buyers: John Flynn; rayboomboom; vinniewannabe; mparsons; robbierobnj06; ibzprestige; Carmine; lossforgain; (X6 (El Seisito!)) ; rdcalab; zildjian@consol; Sub_Meter

www.myspace.com/moe4607
          http://www.myspace.com/docdaltonandthehealing

Wish we had some Cheese- 11/2008

Comment

i use a click during studio sex, but not live.
            i miss you, mark
            r.i.p. rudy

Comment

I wouldn't want to play to a click live. For studio stuff it wasn't completely necessary with all the tempo changes in Leaves Russell songs.

But I do enjoy playing to a click just because it's difficult. About a month before we went into the studio we used a click track at every practice. It was very educational.
              Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
              I make pedalboards - https://www.facebook.com/puddleboards
              I make music - http://commonlycourteous.com/

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
                View Post

Today's Question: Do you prefer to play with a click or without one?

I personally like working without one, but sometimes they're needed so I feel it's important that ever instrumentalist get used to using one.

Without...when I'm playing with a click, there's no adjusting on the fly...studio situation, sure - click wins, live playing, click is good if everyone's on it, else other members will drag you off the click.
                Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
                  View Post

Solution: only give the drummer click and everyone understands the drummer is in charge of keeping time.

That backfires, unless the drummer can ONLY hear the click and knows the songs through and through. Otherwise, people will drag the drummer off the click, and like me, I'll either make a snap adjust (if it's slightly off) or I'll slow it down/speed it up noticably to get it back on tick.

Without it, not a problem.

I have thought about using it, once I know the tempo for the song, using it live to make sure the song at least STARTS at the right tempo. Takes anxiety/adrenaline out of the picture.
                  Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jenksdrummer
                    View Post

That backfires, unless the drummer can ONLY hear the click and knows the songs through and through. Otherwise, people will drag the drummer off the click, and like me, I'll either make a snap adjust (if it's slightly off) or I'll slow it down/speed it up noticably to get it back on tick.

not at all: what you just wrote might be your solution, but it's 100% not true for me.

I'm speaking from experience playing in an actively gigging band with tracks/sequences (and click for me)on 90% of the songs we do.

I get all 4 vocals, both guitars, bass, tracks and click in my IEMs, mixed by me to the right levels. Everybody else in the band knows that there's a click, I start the tracks and I set & keep tempo; they must play with/to & follow ME, period. As long as that's understood, and the players agree with that plan, there are no major issues.

Occasionally on a newer song we're working on, someone may play too ahead or behind on a given song/part/etc. I keep on the click, and when we've stopped playing, I make sure to point out "Hey, on the choruses, it seems you/everyone else is pulling back too much, so let's make sure to pay attention there." We make sure to get those parts happening, and move on; no issues.

Just need to have the discipline to not let the rest of the band pull you off the click. I know what that's like, it has happened to me on occasion; like anything else, the key is recognizing it as it's starting to happen and locking back in w/the click.

And before everyone jumps in on the 'couldn't play like that, it's too sterile' bandwagon...we're doing 80's alternative & new wave covers, most of which was programmed and played to a sequence/click to begin with; that's the vibe of these songs already. It works, believe me.
                    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by jenksdrummer
                      View Post

I have thought about using it, once I know the tempo for the song, using it live to make sure the song at least STARTS at the right tempo. Takes anxiety/adrenaline out of the picture.

This is the only way I use it. To start the song at a consistent tempo. We may not end there, but at least we started at the right bpm.
                      R.I.P. Marko46 -- You are missed.

My 1988 Pearl MX Monster

Originally Posted by RumStik

You can't pick someone else's pedal anymore than you can dictate his scrotum wrinkle.

Comment

• Today's Question: Do you use any muffling on your drums?

Every once in a while I may use a wallet or something similar to give my snare a more vintage funk sound, but I never muffle any other drums.
                        www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
                          View Post

Today's Question: Do you use any muffling on your drums?

Every once in a while I may use a wallet or something similar to give my snare a more vintage funk sound, but I never muffle any other drums.

Normally no, but if I'm mic'd and/or the venue is too "lively" for open drums - I'm not above putting a bedsheet in my bass drum, duct tape on my snare, and moongels on my toms.
                          Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

• Just the pillow that came with it,bass drum.PDP
                            great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

• I tune very open and live to begin with, and prefer to leave the drums as wide-open as possible, but my rehearsal space is very live/unforgiving AND we're all on in-ears, so I have muffle rings on top of the snare & toms there.

DW kick pillow in the BD as well barely touching the head (mostly to soak up a little resonance), and use Remo P3 heads on batter & resonant.

Live I prefer no muffling other than what's in the kick, but that being said, I have a set of those muffle rings for the tops of the toms & snare at the bottom of one of my FT bags just in case they are needed.
                              For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

• I'm very muffled--I live in an apartment

However, live, I prefer to be wide open
                                "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Working...
                                X