Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going through Mike Johnson's book Linear Drumming...going through the ALL the excercises religiously. I am also working on "the ladder". I'm not sure if I'll ever get it up to speed.....it's tough for me right now. I guess that's why I'm practicing it, huh?

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

I work on the same thing over and over its called

LEFT HAND STUPID................Until I can get my left hand to do what my right hand can all the rest is just useless.
      Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Comment

Performing my last gig with a pretty good buzz, and having musicians in attendance come up and do some songs that we'd never played as a group before for a end of night jam-a-thon.

We stopped playing at 1:30AM like we should have - just no one wanted us to stop...lol.
        Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

foot triplets,never satisfied,double stroke roll
          great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

Try to practice 1-1.5 hours per day

Bass drum is a PDP 22"

Currently working on rudiments and grooves, just started taking lessons about a month ago
            m/ Metal Militia m/
            Member -- Mazi Bee Kick Ass Militia Angry Grimace Fan Club

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by race81
              View Post

I work on the same thing over and over its called

LEFT HAND STUPID................Until I can get my left hand to do what my right hand can all the rest is just useless.

Pretty much the same thing here. Lots of **************** with my left hand. And making my right foot be independent from it.
              Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gremson
                View Post

Pretty much the same thing here. Lots of **************** with my left hand. And making my right foot be independent from it.

Hey Gremson, try this exercise out for independence between feet and hands. It should help a lot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCj94sVeGys
                www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

Thanks, I saw that when you posted it a while back. It's been useful.
                  Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

Been working on not a lot of technique, just getting ready for my first gig back since my broken leg fiasco. The songs we're covering have pretty easy beats, but I'm working on spicing things up a bit so I'll let you know what I'm working on when I figure it out! lol...

And, in response to previous question, kick is 22" x 16"
                    Sidrak and Bokkus, new album out titled "White Noise on Black Paper."

http://www.reverbnation.com/sidrakandbokkus

Comment

cocoa/objective-c.

.... errr ....

well, working on that pays me a lot more than playing drums.
                      Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
                      Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

Practice: about every Weds and maybe Thurs (my days off) for about 2-4 hrs. (Muted drums played wit blaststicks/sound like the drums you heard on MTV Unplugged)

Bass: Yamaha Stage Custom 17x22.

Last thing on Drums: didn't play tonight, wasn't feeling right earlier. last week and lately I have been playing along with random old CDs that I haven't heard or played with in ages. Last CD was Foreigner's Agent Provacator from 84' with songs "I Want to Know What Love Is" "That Was Yesterday" "Love In Vain"

(sidebar) The other day, the shelf that holds an old glass beer pitcher with my Hard Rock sticks and such in it fell and glass broke, so tonight I moved drums and cleaned up all the glass. Some of it had gotten in between the drums rim and edge of the head so I took the rims off, cleaned them off and retightened the toms heads and retuned them. Hopefully I get to practice Thurs night!
                        "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

I have so little time to play that when I do have the chance, I just work on time. I feel the ability to keep good time is the easiest thing to lose, so that's what I focus on.
                          "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Today's Question: What are some of your favorite styles 0f music to play?

Oh man, so many. If I had to pick only a few, I would probably go with funk, jazz, brazilian, and afro-cuban.

Edit: Damn, I almost forgot freeform/experimental. Probably my favorite out of all of them!
                            www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

Rock...and big band era swing/Chicago Blues...the second being what I'd like to do, if I had all the right pieces because I think it'd be VERY successful...just getting over the hump and playing out would be the hard part.

The first, being because thats what I like.

But, as a drummer, it really doesn't matter what the music is.
                              Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
                                View Post

Today's Question: What are some of your favorite styles 0f music to play?

Rock, Metal and some Prog.

I don't branch out much and I'm ****************tier drummer because of it.
                                R.I.P. Marko46 -- You are missed.

My 1988 Pearl MX Monster

Originally Posted by RumStik

You can't pick someone else's pedal anymore than you can dictate his scrotum wrinkle.

Comment

Working...
                                X