Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Question: Do you have any questions pertaining to counting?

I do. What is the proper way to count thirty-second notes?
    www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

• I think you would go like this...

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32 | 2,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32 |

3,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,|

4,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32 |

etc.
      For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
        View Post

Today's Question: Do you have any questions pertaining to counting?

No, I don't, but I wanted to share why. I did drum line in high school, and coutning out loud along with exercises and rhythms was a clutch part of everything we did when learning. This is ingrained in me so deeply the names and counting of rhythmic passages (aka "The Check Patterns") that if I see rhythmic notation and sing it aloud, I automatically sing the name (1, e, &, or a) of the note as I do it.

So.... big thumbs up to drumline.
        Music, music, I hear music
        Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

View Post

Today's Question: If you could be the drummer for any one solo artist, who would it be?

Jeff Beck

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
          View Post

Today's Question: Do you have any questions pertaining to counting?

No
          "If you can't SAY something with your instrument, try sellin' cars."-
          The late, great Tony Williams

www.russleonardi.com
          www.zephyrsound.com
          — Sonor Designer Maple shell (heavy) 8 pc. for studio
          — Premier Genista 7 pc. for live gigs
          — Tama Silverstar "Metro" 4pc. for certain live gigs.
          — Paiste, Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals, depending on what I'm doin'.
          — Small collection of assorted snare drums to suit my mood.

Comment

View Post

Today's Question: If you could be the drummer for any one solo artist, who would it be?

I'd also have to go with Mr. Please Please himself. Live at the Apollo (1963) is one of my favorite albums.

but Horace Silver, Ray Brown, Andrew Bird, Sufjan Stevens, and Jimi Hendrix are also way up on the list.

Comment

• Today's Question: Do you enjoy playing any genres of music that you don’t enjoy listening to?

I enjoy writing and playing somewhat progressive metal and djent-ish parts but I can’t stand listening to that type of music these days. I think my love of playing it stems from my teenager years when I was heavily listening to the bands such as Candiria and Tool.
              www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

View Post

Today's Question: Do you enjoy playing any genres of music that you don’t enjoy listening to?

Haha! Absolutely! I don't listen to much metal, but I always practice double bass chops and fills so I have them at my disposal when needed, especially tight double bass rhythms a la Fear Factory, or even old Primus.
                Music, music, I hear music
                Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

View Post

Today's Question: Do you enjoy playing any genres of music that you don’t enjoy listening to?

Not really. The other way around, perhaps. There is music I enjoy listening to, that I have no desire to play, but not as you asked the question.
                  "If you can't SAY something with your instrument, try sellin' cars."-
                  The late, great Tony Williams

www.russleonardi.com
                  www.zephyrsound.com
                  — Sonor Designer Maple shell (heavy) 8 pc. for studio
                  — Premier Genista 7 pc. for live gigs
                  — Tama Silverstar "Metro" 4pc. for certain live gigs.
                  — Paiste, Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals, depending on what I'm doin'.
                  — Small collection of assorted snare drums to suit my mood.

Comment

View Post

I like to play poppish rock stuff like the Beatles and CCR and Van Morrison etc although I would probably never listen to this stuff much on my own.
                    P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
                    Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
                    1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
                    KORG TR keyboard
                    Cubase LE
                    Tascam US-122 USB Interface
                    George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

View Post

My group plays a lot of countryish type stuff like shuffles and 2 beats, but me and country really never got a long for listening...all them twangy steels used to drive me crazy!
                      The Southpaw is rising again!
                      I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
                      Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

Comment

• Rockin blues, like SRV. I can play shuffles all day, but I don't really listen to it much. Too much guitar wankery IMO. I also used to love playing in my fast punk band, like NOFX and the Vandals but I was always listening to jazz and funk so it was often torture hearing the other bands we'd get booked with. I'm with Carm on country too, my bluegrass group does some that sorta crosses over, fun to play but that's about it. Also free-jazz, fun play with freedom but most of it is too damn harsh on the ear, especially sax dudes only ripping harmonics squeaks.

Comment

• I love to play the blues, and straight ahead pop rock... Can't really stand to listen to either.
                          Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

View Post

Not really...I've been able to make choices about the bands I play with enough that I pretty much always am playing music that I both enjoy playing AND listening to, so given a limited amount of available time to do either, I spend my playing time focusing on that which I already am pre-disposed to enjoying.
                            For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

• Once a year, I do that Disco reunion gig and while I never listen to that kind of music, it sure is fun to play when you see a couple of hundred people on the dance floor enjoying themselves.

My main band is a Classic Rock band, and I enjoy playing that stuff but I rarely listen to the Classic Rock radio station in town.

When I sit in with those Jazz bands (like tonight!), it's a double treat because that IS the kind of stuff I listen to when I'm not gigging.

So I guess my answer would be "Yes".

Good playing can hide a crappy drumset, but even the best drumset can't hide crappy playing.

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it.- Salvador Dali

Some of the best players that I know really can't play the drums well, but they play music superlatively well. - Jim Chapin

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by fusionfunk
                                View Post

Not really. The other way around, perhaps. There is music I enjoy listening to, that I have no desire to play, but not as you asked the question.

Same here.

Comment

Working...
                                X