Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Daily Question For Drummers Thread

Hey everyone. I've been asking a daily question for drummers on various sites for the last few months and figured I might as well start the thread here as well. Basically, every Monday - Friday, I ask a question and everyone posts their answers. For older questions and their answers, please check out the forums at www.kindbeatsdrums.com and please feel free to join and answer there as well!

Today's Question: How often do you practice?

Not as often as I should, that's for sure!
    www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Varies during the time of year...hobbies/chores/family fun/ etc.

Right now, not gigging, no band practice.......I try to set myself down 3-4 times a week for an hour and just play....no pressure, just play.
    Jack of all trades....Master of none...

Comment

I play everday about 30mins.I really practice about 3 hrs a week.When the band is going strong I'll play about 2hrs a day.
      great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

• zildjian@consol
        zildjian@consol commented
        Editing a comment

New Question; Do you mix cymbals or arethey all same brand,same line?I'm a mixed up person,6 brands and 6 0r so different lines.

• FitchFY
        FitchFY commented
        Editing a comment
        New Question; Do you mix cymbals or arethey all same brand,same line?I'm a mixed up person,6 brands and 6 0r so different lines.

I'm mostly a Sabian guy, but I have chinas from Wuhan and Azgabian.

Different lines work in differnent applications for my ears and playing, so they vary, but I'm very fond of the HHX line for all things non-rock, and AAX line for rock.

• drumsdb
        drumsdb commented
        Editing a comment

FitchFY wrote:

I'm mostly a Sabian guy, but I have chinas from Wuhan and Azgabian.

Different lines work in differnent applications for my ears and playing, so they vary, but I'm very fond of the HHX line for all things non-rock, and AAX line for rock.

I'm very much like FitchFY and primarily a Sabian guy.  I had a lot more Zildjian's in the mix for quite some time, but never felt it was the right sound for me.  I always go back to the AAX (primarily).  Even the other Sabian series seem to fit me better.  As such, I got rid of almost all my Zildjians in favor of Sabians and even some SR2's.

That being said, I do still have a 20" K Custom Dry Ride that I am in love with and will never part ways.  So I'm not 100% brand stubborn.

DB

I usually get at least an hour every weekday, and at weekends maybe 3 a day.

Not including 3 hour band practice 3 or 4 times a week.
      Dave Grohl is my religion.

Comment

Once or twice a month. I really don't have time, and it kinda depresses me.
        "If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up." - Dexter Gordon

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kindbeats
          View Post

Hey everyone. I've been asking a daily question for drummers on various sites for the last few months and figured I might as well start the thread here as well. Basically, every Monday - Friday, I ask a question and everyone posts their answers. For older questions, please check out the forums at www.kindbeatsdrums.com and please feel free to join and answer there as well!

Today's Question: How often do you practice?

Not as often as I should, that's for sure!

By myself - maybe...MAYBE....once a month - probably closer to 1 time every 2 months, where I'll work on material behind a kit at home w/ headphones.

With the band - usually twice a week + shows (I count that as paid practice)

Sunday from 20PM to 60PM

Wednesdays from 60PM to 80PM

End times vary a bit, but we go at least that long. Sunday we go through each of our sets to make sure they stay sharp, then work new material. Wednesday, we polish a few in the set lists and re-work the new material and integrate it into our set list.

Rinse, repeat, and throw a few shows in there for good measure.

So far, we've managed to have a practice the night before a show, run through a couple of songs, let the singer do whatever to not strain his voice, then we pack up our gear for the next day.
          Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

I have 2-4 hour long band practices 4 nights a week.

About once a week I'll spend about an hour behind my kit ****************ing with ****************, but I don't really have anything specific I practice. I just play and try to find things that are difficult to do. Then I play them over and over till they're not difficult anymore.
            Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things
            I make pedalboards - https://www.facebook.com/puddleboards
            I make music - http://commonlycourteous.com/

Comment

the band rehearses once or twice a week for 2-3 hours.

other than that, i don't really practice. i'll break out the pad every so often and do some rudiments, but that's about it. which is prolly why my chops suck.
              Proud founder of the Trailer Trash Tattooed Piece of ****************/Dollar Store Trash Club.
              Tattoos courtesy of Espi & Alison Casson

Comment

I scheduled my lessons with a 90 minutes in between this semester, so I get a few hours a week these days. Currently working on the Malawe/Weiner Afro-cuban book.

/w
                Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
                "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

Daily. Hourly sometimes...
                  Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Photos Here...

Comment

Holy crap, that's a lot of thread participation so far! I think we're going to be learning some cool things from each other in this thread!
                    www.kindbeatsdrums.com

"Don't live in a world presented to you. Instead, become a creator of worlds."

Comment

Practice twice a week for about 3 hours, and then I do another 6 on my own to work on things and develop ideas.

Comment

Not much at all, comes and goes in bursts. Some times it's a little bit every day to, once or twice a week to, a few times a month. Mostly it's due to procrastination. I There's lots I need to work on but, I'd really like to bust my ass on picking up on faster and more fluid double bass, still sitting at so-so 16th notes.
                        "Black metal is the Devil's fuel"
                        www.myspace.com/thebitterdawn
                        Bitter Dawn
                        -Yamaha Stage Customs w/ AAX Stage cymbals
                        - Tama Warlord Masai
                        - Epi LP Studio
                        - Ibanez RG
                        - '93 Ibanez EX3700
                        - Crate G-212 (US) & MT-2
                        - Yamaha and
                        - Shure recording gear

slap happy drums —
                        " ...we do not play the drums, we operate the machine that play the drums."

Comment

Every night for an hour to 1 1/2...except Monday nights and Tuesday nights when I teach...
                          The Southpaw is rising again!
                          I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
                          Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

Comment

couple of hours per/week when i'm lucky
                            What we need here is some ass kickin hard drivin hotter than yo mamma's meatloaf rock-n-roll!

Comment

Working...
                            X