Practice is...

the DW

• Members

something I can always use, but dont have time for. Usually band rehearsals are for just that, and no time for me time. Practice can be at times, just having a beat go through my head and tapping it out with my fingers.

• Members

...totally necessary...for me anyways.

Keeps my hands and feet in shape.  It is a physical instrument and needs to always be sharpened.

I do view practicing as practicing.  I usually don't go down there just to "jam".  And most of the time if you were listening to me upstairs, you'd probably think I suck because I work on stuff I am either developing or suck at.  Practice for me is working out stuff.  Could be excercise-based - yes boring stuff that is not boring to me.   To me its more boring to go downstairs and play something I've played a billion times already.  I can already to that.  I am making it sound grandios - but really what I am working on could be something very small like a new ghost note pattern - or syncopated beat or some kind of displacement.

When I am on stage, that is the time to express myself.  I don't think about excercises - I just play - and PRAY the stuff I worked on at home sinks in.  The times you are on the bandstand is when you let go and let god.  Honestly, the moment you start "thinking" about playing your practices - you will just blow it or it will SOUND like you are playing an excercise.  "Stream of consciencness" is what I'd like to sound like - but really, its not that way at all because its all worked out already.  It's inside you, does that make sense?

• Members

vinniewannabe wrote:

...totally necessary...for me anyways.

Keeps my hands and feet in shape.  It is a physical instrument and needs to always be sharpened.

I do view practicing as practicing.  I usually don't go down there just to "jam".  And most of the time if you were listening to me upstairs, you'd probably think I suck because I work on stuff I am either developing or suck at.  Practice for me is working out stuff.  Could be excercise-based - yes boring stuff that is not boring to me.   To me its more boring to go downstairs and play something I've played a billion times already.  I can already to that.  I am making it sound grandios - but really what I am working on could be something very small like a new ghost note pattern - or syncopated beat or some kind of displacement.

When I am on stage, that is the time to express myself.  I don't think about excercises - I just play - and PRAY the stuff I worked on at home sinks in.  The times you are on the bandstand is when you let go and let god.  Honestly, the moment you start "thinking" about playing your practices - you will just blow it or it will SOUND like you are playing an excercise.  "Stream of consciencness" is what I'd like to sound like - but really, its not that way at all because its all worked out already.  It's inside you, does that make sense?

This is the long version of what I was saying! LOL!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived