No announcement yet.

Drums and IEM's...........

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drums and IEM's...........

Ive been wanting to get up and running on some IEM's for a long time.  Not only for hearing protection, but also to hear what I want on stage.  We had a gig last night, and the band setup under a small 20x20 pavillion that had a metal roof.  Every note frim the bass player lead to a vibrating roof and loud rattle noises that were driving me crazy.  I was setup a sp2 as a monitor and its usually great,  but too much surrounding noise in close proximity to me was mudding it all up.  The sp2 had vocals, lead guitar and a small amount of kick in it.  After the first set....I was so fed up with the sound I broke out the IEM's I had setup earlier this year, removed my monitor line and plugged into my personal monitor amp, and dug out the "test" IEM's I had purchased months ago.  I bought a set of JVC earbuds, that were supposed to have extended bass.  I was happily pleased with the results with no major adjustments and an on the fly move.  I also noticed that my voice wasnt hurting when we got done at the end of the night.  I tend to sing loud....guessin its a by product of trying to hear yourself with so many distraction(noise) on stage.  The JVC's did a decent job for the $30 I spent on them....next up will be some custom molds.  While on the IEM's I felt more free to play around on the kit if that makes sense.....I could concentrate more on what I was doing while taking out some of the other stuff that was going on.  Still undecided on brand I will buy, although, I think Im looking for a triple drive with one stereo, and two lows.  The only thing I lost was the feel of my toms.....but I remembered they were not in my monitor mix at all last night. .....might help huh!  We have a private party outside gig this sat....gonna play around with it a little more and see what kinda mix I can get outa these cheapo ear buds.  If any of you guys use anything different or have any adjusting hints, throw me a bone....!

Jack of all trades....Master of none...

If you're going to go the IEM route then really consider a buttkicker with it. I use the Shure 425 model with universal fit tips and think they're great. I also use a $10 pair of earbuds for mowing the lawn and kind of wonder if the dual drivers are really that much better for a bar band drummer considering the cost. With the buttkicker and the ears, I get the same exact sound and feel regardless of the room. Outside, a deck or a club, it's ALWAYS the same and I can control how loud it all is. I get a aux send from the board and run it from the snake into a cheapo Nady 6 channel mixer. Works great. I'm certain their are WAY better rigs being used by these guys on the board, but i just don't have that kind of money.

Comment

• race81
      race81 commented
      Editing a comment
      Im hoping that I dont need a buttkicker......with quality IEM's I should be able to hear everything. Im assuming your using the 6 channel mixer to mix on the fly?? In the group I play with now, we run sound from stage, (small time we are) and Im always within a few feet of my personal aux channel for adjusting. Im told the triple drivers with the two loww drivers are unreal.....but its just what Ive heard, never tried any yet.

If you want deep bass you'll need to have deep ear molds made. I have Westone triple driver units, one custom deep molded and one with foamies. Big difference in deep bass
    Don Boomer

Comment

• Merlin Coryell
      Merlin Coryell commented
      Editing a comment

I also have the Westone UM3x RCs. Perfect for wide range of drumming IEM applications. I dont have the custom molds yet myself, but have had great luck with the rubber ear pieces. However its important to point out that I use a Behringer 5ch mini mixer, so I can boost lows as needed anyway.

Love the hell out of these Westones though, cannot reccomend them enough if you cant afford the $500+ IEMs out there.

Working...
X