I have an unhealthy obsession with Roto Toms.

Humble Pie

• Members

It's true. I had this nifty concept for a Roto Tom kit, found the appropriate pieces, but now I want more. Sure, I used to browse Craigslist casually, looking for a quick drum hookup, only to squelch the guilt by assuring myself that I wasn't getting enough Roto Tom action at home. But now, now it is uncontrollable. Sometimes I look for ads in other cities, even other states, longing for the 12" Roto Tom in LA, or the 6-8-10 set in Duluth. I even started up a flirty conversation with a guy in Boston who is selling a 6-16 set, just to feel the excitement of such an encounter. Sadly, it has devolved to the point that I wrote an angry email to someone selling a 6-18 set on eBay for an absurd $1500! Who does that hussy think they are, flaunting their stuff for such a ridiculous untouchable price??? It's OK, though. When I have room in the basement to set them up, I will be satisfied. Until then, I keep them hidden in the sump well from my wife so she won't know the terrible truth. :(

• Members

Hahaha - when you start e-mailing random people about their prices, you need to take a step back and maybe hit something with a shell.

A side note is Johnny Haro from The Dreaming uses a roto-tom based set up with triggers for his drum sound (on top of a normal kick and snare).

• Members

I still have mine in the closet....::smileytongue:...The stand broke many moons ago,but I still have them, not even positive of the sizes 6,8,10 maybe.......Played and acted like I was a rock start when I was younger,.....those were the days.

• Members

RumStik wrote:

Don't think I'd ever go full roto-kit, but I have two 14's in my home setup and always will.

I still have my traditional kit, but this will be fun to play with for a while. I just need to solve pRoto Kit's stupid bar mounts. Not a fan of flat toms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

There once back in the 80's was a pearl kit that incorporated a roto tom mounted above a fiberglass shell called Veri-pitch drums. They were pretty cool, cause you could change tuning on the fly. They didn't last very long however. I remember taking a yellow kit on trade in those, and reworking that kit so it had black pinstripping all over the yellow shells. (back in the Stryper days).

As a solid yellow, it sat for 6 months, after the black stripping, it lasted 6 hours and was sold.

Too funny the things that are out there!

D

• Members

Dendy Jarrett wrote:

There once back in the 80's was a pearl kit that incorporated a roto tom mounted above a fiberglass shell called Veri-pitch drums. They were pretty cool, cause you could change tuning on the fly. They didn't last very long however. I remember taking a yellow kit on trade in those, and reworking that kit so it had black pinstripping all over the yellow shells. (back in the Stryper days).

As a solid yellow, it sat for 6 months, after the black stripping, it lasted 6 hours and was sold.

Too funny the things that are out there!

D

I still see them around from time to time. Ebay had a few pieces for sale. I never saw any other color than chrome, though.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not that it will help your addiction, but I have a 14, two 16s and two 18s, all chrome on chrome and in good to excellent condition, that I could be talked into selling for the right price...  I need to fund the purchase of a new DW5000 double pedal somehow.

• 1 month later...

Archived