My latest DIY project

lsits

• Members

A little background: I built a riser about 10 or 12 years ago using some plans that were in an article in MD. The only problem was that it weighed a ton and was not very easy to transport and set up (especially for one person). Because of this I only used it once or twice. I just kept set up in my practice room. While perusing the interwebs I came across an idea on another drum forum which shall remain nameless (Drumchat) to use plastic buckets instead of wooden legs. Here's the result:

Kitfront.jpg

I cut down the top to fit my kit. The finished size is 5 x 5 1/2 feet. It fits my 5-piece Stage Custom set just right.

Kitleftcloseup.jpg
Kitrightcloseup.jpg

Cut the top into thirds and installed latches to hold it together.

Latch.jpg

• Members

It's easy to set up and one person can do it. Here it is packed and ready to go.

Collapsed.jpg

Turn the pieces upside down and install the buckets.

Assembly2.jpg

Then flip the pieces over and latch them together.

By the way, each of the three pieces is cut in half and connected by a piano hinge. Makes it even easier to transport.

• Members

Now invest in a bit of black skirting and some velcro and youre set.

There's actually a company that sells something similar to your design, but instead of buckets, they use pieces of plastic that can expand/collapse diamter somewhat so that all the pieces can nest inside each other (taking up far less space in transport). They also sell just the hardware and just the plans as well.

Can't remember the name...

• Members

Yeah, the lids are screwed to the bottom of the sections. Here's a pic:

Assembly1.jpg

I've been mulling over the skirt options. Thinking about some grass skirting to give it a luau feel, the classic black fabric skirting on the front and sides, or maybe some fabric wrapped around just the buckets to give it a floating in space look.

• Members

One thing I noticed was that since the latches are attached to the underside of the platform, there is a tendency for them to work their way loose with the vibration. Right now I'm using some of those small pencils (I always grab a handful when I go to IKEA) to hold the latches in place. Not very elegant. Probably a 1/4" diameter nut and bolt would do the trick.

• Members

That's REALLY cool, man. Very nice job putting it together, and I love the attention to detail. Another vote for some kind of skirting, and you can have some fun there. Or, you know, hang white Christmas lights to remind you of your college days!

How sturdy does it feel when you're going to town on it? And can you hear any type of echo/ resonance from the plastic buckets?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lsits

View Post

I've been mulling over the skirt options. Thinking about some grass skirting to give it a luau feel, the classic black fabric skirting on the front and sides, or maybe some fabric wrapped around just the buckets to give it a floating in space look.

It would be pretty cool to be able to do all of these (and more!) so you can change it up for different gigs. Not that anybody would really notice, in particular, but it would still be neat

• Members

There was a guy on here a couple of years ago, that we lost in the explosion, he did the same thing and had a nice neat looking skirt around his. I have him on my facebook, but rarely see him post anymore, here or other wise. The multiple pieces of board and the latches just scare me. If a latch fails, the others loosin up and then I have visions of floor toms, cymbal stands, and the drummer falling off the stand....just scares me.

• Members

I am taken back to a discussion between Andy and Barney where they were discussing a band concert to be held on a Sunday night. The sign started out saying "everything" Barney thought it should say, they kept narrowing it down, and then decided ... no sign.

Love your idea. Back in the "day" when I was touring with a single act doing a Department of Defense tour I had a very nicely made riser that had hide-away casters from scaffolding. It rolled around and when closed held my entire drum kit ... like a road case. Hated to get rid of that, but the reality now ... for most club dates ... even larger venues, they either: A) don't have room or b) drum riser is provided.

I keep a piece of foamed back truck bedliner (think fuzzy automotive trunk type material) rolled up in my hardware back that is just enough to go under my bass drum back to my throne and over to my high hat. Light weight, no fuss, no muss and fits in the back of my Jeep.

But love your concept and idea.
D

• 3 months later...
  • Members
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Enigmatic wrote:

Very nice work.   I always wondered what that the purpose is of a drum riser.  Is it solely for looks or does it impact or enhance the sound of the drums? 

I built it primarily for the visual look. I usually have my drums set up behind everybody else. This gets my drums (and my face) up where people can see them.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

lsits wrote:

One thing I noticed was that since the latches are attached to the underside of the platform, there is a tendency for them to work their way loose with the vibration. Right now I'm using some of those small pencils (I always grab a handful when I go to IKEA) to hold the latches in place. Not very elegant. Probably a 1/4" diameter nut and bolt would do the trick.

You might try putting a gasket between the 2 top boards for the latches ti have something to compress, which should tighten the way they fit. Maybe.

Archived