Removing smoke damage

SChapman

• Members

Hey everybody! 

I've been doing some rather low level drum cleaning and detailing in my spare time and I'm starting to wonder about some more advanced things I can do to bring the drums that I work on back to life.  Right now I'm working on a coworker's Gretsch Pure Wood Renown and a Pearl Dennis Chambers signature snare. The Gretsch is coming along very nicely, but I have significant smoke damage/discolouration on the Pearl's finish that isn't coming out by traditional polishing.  Does anybody have any safe ideas for removing this? 

Thanks! !!

-Sean.C

• Members

Depending on a number of things it may not be removable. It could be common for that finish/that year, sun damage, etc, for all any of us know. You may want to do a search to see if there were any issues with the finish,

I wouldn't do anything more than clean it with a non-amoneia based cleaner, and possibly polish it.

Just my .02

• Members

SChapman wrote:

... but I have significant smoke damage/discolouration on the Pearl's finish that isn't coming out by traditional polishing.  Does anybody have any safe ideas for removing this? 

Welcome to the forum, Sean! Always cool to see new names!

What's the finish on the Pearl snare? Is it laquer? Paint? A wrap? Just trying to check out the variables.

• Members

Hey everybody! Thanks for the love! 

The snare in question is a laquer finish. It's supposed to be white but unfortunately it is stained. It's not stained in a way that light would be the culprit. It certainly has a darker smoke hue to it than most light damage would give. 

Thanks for the help again, guys! Any advice is good advice! 

- Sean

Archived