Suspended vs Floor Toms

BonzoMoon2002

• Members

Suspended floor toms bounce more.

I actually went from floor mounts to suspended when I built my kit because I wanted as much resonance I could muster on every drum. I went all tube lugs to minimze hardware impact on the waves passing through the shell, and RIM-style mounts as opposed to mounts that connect to the middle of the drum and absorb/transfer shock.

From a purely playing standpoint though, suspended floor toms bounce more, and I wouldn't hang a stick bag off of one.

• Members

i use pearl optimounts, imo the best ones out there. they don't bounce nearly as much as the rims mounts. i've known people to mount 18's on those, in fact. the trick is to get some good stands and balance the toms on there right. i have a 15 and a couple cymbals on mine and it doesn't move much at all.

• Members

Phil_The_Rodent wrote:

Suspended floor toms bounce more.

I actually went from floor mounts to suspended when I built my kit because I wanted as much resonance I could muster on every drum. I went all tube lugs to minimze hardware impact on the waves passing through the shell, and RIM-style mounts as opposed to mounts that connect to the middle of the drum and absorb/transfer shock.

From a purely playing standpoint though, suspended floor toms bounce more, and I wouldn't hang a stick bag off of one.

I've not heard this discussed but I theorize that tube lugs even with the minimal shell contact actually bind the shell. good for snare, maybe not so much for toms. (?)

In regard to floors, straightleg rods - no good. Kills the shell. Use resonance designed rods ( exaggerated splay) or at least Pearl type cushy rubber feet.

• Members

"I've not heard this discussed but I theorize that tube lugs even with the minimal shell contact actually bind the shell. good for snare, maybe not so much for toms. (?)"

The long ones, ya maybe. Mine are small so are going to act similar to single-point contact, low-mass lugs but with a smaller footprint. Probably academic, and certainly a reaction to my old Tama kit whose lugs were not only connected, but were bound to the shell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I used suspended toms for years.  My latest kit didn't have an option to buy 16" suspended toms, so I went with 14/16 floors. At first I didn't like it.  But there are benefits I've learned to appreciate.  Easier to setup, less hardware, I can lean on them and get different sounds. 

Archived