Daily Drum Question Thread

FitchFY

• Members

I miss the Daily Drum Question Thread, so I'm bringing it back! Boosh!

Today's question: What's the last piece of hardware that broke for you?

I had a ball joint on an old Yamaha YESS clamp give out due to far too much over-tightening and gigging years ago. I definitely got my money's worth out of it, though!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last piece of hardware that broke for me was the footboard bushing in one of my Iron Cobra pedals and that was a couple of years ago.

My son had the same problem with his Yamaha ball joints like many other members of this forum have experienced. The metal that is used in the ball joint housing is cheap pot metal. Over tightening the wing bolt on the joint puts quite a bit of pressure on the threads that are in the ball joint housing and the threads fail because of the cheap metal. I drilled out all of the threads in all of his ball joints; I think that he had five, so that's fifteen holes total; producing a through hole on the bottom side of the joint housing. I then milled a counter bore on each of the holes I drilled so I could have a flat clearance for a nut and washer. Now with the ball joint housing being held together with a nut and bolt instead of a bolt in a blind hole you can tighten the wing bolt as tight as you need and not worry about any thread failures.

I highly recommend that anyone using the Yamaha ball joints find a machinist to modify their mounts because sooner or later the mount will fail and a replacement will be needed.

• Members

Damn, it's been a while for me. I think the last thing that broke for me was the spring on my old Pearl kick pedal, about 4 years ago. Thing was always over tight and would snap springs every couple months.

O can see my next failure coming though. the mallet on my Camco has seen better days. Thing's bent backwards and the felt is all but completely flattened out on one side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I must admit that after 7 years I stripped of my original Pearl snare stand.  It had been given the light job of practice pad duty and finally gave up.  

However! I do have to stand up for Yamaha and say that their use of soft metals is genius.  Yamaha incorporates Magnesium as their main bolt material in their stands so you strip the bolt rather than the stand insert.  The replacement bolts can be purchased at your local Yamaha dealer for only a few dollars. Stand saved! 

-Sean

• Members

SChapman wrote:

I must admit that after 7 years I stripped of my original Pearl snare stand.  It had been given the light job of practice pad duty and finally gave up.  

However! I do have to stand up for Yamaha and say that their use of soft metals is genius.  Yamaha incorporates Magnesium as their main bolt material in their stands so you strip the bolt rather than the stand insert.  The replacement bolts can be purchased at your local Yamaha dealer for only a few dollars. Stand saved! 

-Sean

This answer needs a question. Some guy came up with this daily question concept to pad some spam research. The guys liked classroom effect and the premise at least stuck. So, I suppose you're allowed to submit a legitimate question as long as it's the first of the day. Check with Fitch - he ressurected the idea.

• Members

Today's (or the next 72 hrs' whichever comes first) question:

Is your generic playing preference based on the drums, the music, or even other factors?

Mine is open smooth jazz like Fourplay that while void of fancy drumming (much respect to Harvey Mason for the exemplary work) provides a great template for form, phrasing, grooving, filling; all kinds of musical fundamentals - and fancy drumming too if you like.

• Members

It's all about the story. In fact, I may even ask for lyric sheets to make sure my drums parts work in context. There are also a handful of songs that I've refused to add drums to becauase it didn't make sense to add them (for these, I usually play something else like hand drums or a melodic instrument -- but I have no problem not playing at all if that's what the song calls for).

So ya, story.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Today's question: Do you play with any bands WITHOUT a bass player?

I'm so used to locking in with a bassist, so when there isn't one, it's just odd. With the exception of the occasional acoustic jam, I've always got a bassist to click in with.

• Members

Mizewell go on. Most band vets have the ensemble thing all stereotyped; cliched if you will. Idiosyncrasies of the various combo instruments come into play but it's more 60 yrs of pop and which blends sold big that govern the craft. Frankly, cool on y'all but I'd like to see more composition intensive bands. Not symphonic prog either. Just guys who can write and orchestrate as well as play. There's an infinity of uncharted music waiting to be created.

Guest Guest
Mizewell go on. Most band vets have the ensemble thing all stereotyped; cliched if you will. Idiosyncrasies of the various combo instruments come into play but it's more 60 yrs of pop and which blends sold big that govern the craft. Frankly, cool on y'all but I'd like to see more composition intensive bands. Not symphonic prog either. Just guys who can write and orchestrate as well as play. There's an infinity of uncharted music waiting to be created.

why create new when regurgitation is easier? lol

• Members
My how thoughtful.

If you mouse over the fenceposts under your avatar you get your liked rating. If you get liked enough you develop red bars and your rating changes. There's also a rumor that you can get syph from indiscriminate liking.

hmmm, true? i see all kinds of folks with those little "life bars" maxxed out already. (?)

• Members

My how thoughtful.

If you mouse over the fenceposts under your avatar you get your liked rating. If you get liked enough you develop red bars and your rating changes. There's also a rumor that you can get syph from indiscriminate liking.

Archived