Wanting input on controllers with built-in mixers.

dedmeet

• Members

Hi, everyone! I am a sound guy who also moonlights as a DJ. Right now, I am running Traktor Pro, an Audio 2 DJ sound card, and a Numark MixTrack controller. PC is a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 (64-bit).

This combo has been successful for me to start out with, but I would like to upgrade to more serious kit. A fellow DJ is running the Denon DN-MC6000 and I rather liked the fact that it could function as a standalone mixer as well as a normal MIDI controller. Based on my experiences with this unit, I am exploring similar options. So far, the three controllers of this type I have found are:

- Denon DN-MC6000

- Allen and Heath Xone 4D (Egads! Expensve!)

- Numark NS6

Are there other consoles of similar type I should look at? My main requirements would be:

1. Able to interface and control Traktor and/or other top-tier DJ apps.

2. Superb sound quality and features including balanced mic inputs and balanced outputs.

3. Under $1k US.

4. Able to function as a standalone mixer, if needed, for external audio sources (turntables, iPods, etc.).

Thanks for any input or advice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The only thing I don't like about the Denon unit is that it comes with the "LE" or light ,version. If you like tractor check out the Native instruments Tractor S4 controller. The Denon is a very interesting unit, but may require quite a bit of tweaking. The Tractor unit is pretty much "plug and play." I'm in the market right now and having one hell of a time deciding. I like the fact that the Denon comes with rails and can be easily rack mounted. But I really like the fact that the S4 comes tweaked for the software. Good reviews on both at DigitalDJtips.com

Archived