Record wear...

peeehooo

• Members

I have a Technics 1200 with an Ortofon Concorde Nightclub that I use for playing my collection. Just listening. Will the DJ needle wear my records sooner? Should I shell out for a new stylus or am I ok using the one I have?

Thanx!!!

:thu:

• Members

It will, eventually. But not for a very long time. Just make sure your tone arm weight isn't set so high that the needle is putting alot of pressure on the record. If you're just listening, then you don't need much weight on the record at all.

• Members

The thing is that in the long run I think I will get a hi-fi stylus. Only now I have this Concorde DJ one. It would bother me if it was a fact that such a stylus wears the records much faster than a hi-fi one.

And in that case I'd think about getting a hi-fi one soon. But if the difference is negligible I'll wait until the Concorde stylus wears out...

• Members

...but also be careful not to set the tonearm too light. If it bounces into a groove, that causes a lot of damage. There's definitely a "sweet spot."

Yeah, if your needle is skating all around the record, then its probably too light. haha.

Unless you're using weighted cartridges and M44's, chances are you're not going to wear a record down all that much from just listening to it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Depending on which Ortofon Nightclub you have there (S, E or MkII), you'd want to set the tracking force somewhere between 2-5 grams. Go light and experiment from there. Going any heavier than the recommended force will wear out your records faster.

http://www.ortofon-dj.com/en/faq/156-how-exactly-do-i-set-the-tracking-weight-adjustment

V.

• 10 months later...

Archived