This may be in the wrong section, but Drum and Bass production question!

duncan

• Members

I'm wanting to get into producing Drum and Bass. I've spun it for a decade, and I reckon its about time I got into making my own haha.

To start, I'm looking to get a good synth line like the one found in this track between 1:51 and 2:00

As well the bass synth that comes in after it (seems like its a simple sub bass, but I don't know how to get it?)

I'm looking for a soft synth that'll work in either Logic or Protools (I have both). The easier to use, the better.

[video=youtube;kZmUZWJEs1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmUZWJEs1s

• Members

Hi Mate,

What you are after there is pretty much a text book hoover. You can make this on pretty much any VA synth, in essence it is a couple of saws layered up and detuned. Here are some synths you should check out:

komplete7.gif

You get a load of instruments in here, cracking value for around £400. Massive and Absynth are the 2 instruments I think you'll like most but there's loads more cool stuff too.

korg-microkorg---1.jpg

Korg Microkorg and Microkorg XL are very good synths for about £300 price mark and they have quite good hoover presets.

ultranova.gif

This new Novation Ultranova is very nice for less than £500, very good for live performance too as you can trigger mods from the 8 touch sensitive knobs on the front panel.

gaiash01.jpg

This is Roland's offering at that price point, the Novation is far more flexible but I suppose the SH01 would be OK for a beginner just to get to grips with the architecture of a VA synth.

ti2polar.jpg

If you've got the money and fancy jumping in at the deep end get an Access Virus, these are the best VA synths available and have a massive wavetable and the biggest range of modulation options - you'll never make the same noise twice!

All the above are 'virtual' analog. If you want to go down the 'true analog' synth route look at these:

dave-smith-mopho-keyboard-side.jpg

tetra.jpg

monoevolver.jpg

The DSI synths above are very nice, the little modules are relatively cheap to say how good they sound but the Mono/Poly Evolver are amazing, especially if you like dirty sounds.

moog-little-phatty---1.jpg

slimphatty.jpg

Moogs aren't cheap but they do sound phat, the Little Phatty and Slim Phatty above are still within reach of most peoples budgets.

These are just a few options but there are so many synths out there I haven't mentioned. And as I said, you can make a good hoover sound on any of them.

I work in a music tech shop so I'm lucky enough to get to try most of these out!

Just let me know if I can offer any more advice.

• Members

Wow. Thanks man. :]

I ended up picking up a MicroKorg for $250 from my local shop....the rep at my local shop gave me a copy of Absynth, and its pretty badass. I think I'm good for synth sounds now. lol

Now I'm finding that I'm having trouble with drum programming. :/ Firstly, finding drum samples that sound good, as well as using a sequencer to create them. I used to run FruityLoops back in the day, and that was incredible (and incredibly easy to use)....although I don't think I can get it for Mac.

Looks like I might have to get FL Studio on a cheap PC and export the loops over to my Mac. haha.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived